Gauges not working

Mom2owen

Recruit
Hi! I have the opportunity to buy a 2005 Sting Ray 195LR at a really good price. The interior and exterior look great for the age. The engine looks good and boat is water ready. The issues: the horn, trim gauge and hour gauge do not work. Is this likely to be an expensive fix? Would you buy the boat anyway?

alldodge

Staff member
If the other gauges work (fuel, oil pressure, temp) then its either the gauge or wiring

aspeck

Staff member
What alldodge said. If the other guages work it could be as simple as a fuse or a wire.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If all you have to fix are a few gauges, you're good to go. And I say that with all honesty. Most USED boats have a heck of a lot more hiding for the new uneducated buyers then a few non-working gauges. And if the gauges are a worrisome finance issue, maybe you need to rethink buying a boat. Those gauges are on the lower scale of costly items that it takes to own a boat. But if you really like the boat and honestly KNOW everything else is solid, go for it. JMHO

Mom2owen

Recruit
If all you have to fix are a few gauges, you're good to go. And I say that with all honesty. Most USED boats have a heck of a lot more hiding for the new uneducated buyers then a few non-working gauges. And if the gauges are a worrisome finance issue, maybe you need to rethink buying a boat. Those gauges are on the lower scale of costly items that it takes to own a boat. But if you really like the boat and honestly KNOW everything else is solid, go for it. JMHO
Thank you for the feedback. It’s not that the price of the gauges is the issue, I just want to make sure this likely isn’t an extremely costly issue that makes it not worth it for this particular boat. We are having it checked out by a mechanic to rule out any significant issues but wanted to first make sure that the issues we are aware of aren’t significant enough to walk away.