Gauges Not Working!!!

brooks1340

Recruit
OK, I have checked ground and checked hot wire (purple) and all seem well but I can not get any of my gauges to work. No speedo, no tach, no temp, no batt, and no fuel. Little help please!

Boat is 1985 Four Winns has mercruiser 140.

Boat set for several years in field, bought it and trailer (cheap!!!!) and started rebuild. Have corrected most issues and replaced/rebuilt most everything and even had it in the water several times, just need these gauges to work.
My first bigger boat (use small John boats on river in KY) so wanted to buy cheap beginner, plus gives me a new project.

brooks1340

Recruit
Re: Gauges Not Working!!!

Thanks for the diagram, and yes I truley have + and - (my fluke never lies:))
How rugged are these gauges? is it possible that all of them are bad with it sitting open to the elements several years???
I will go over the wireing again just to be sure but seems like the next step would be to replace gauges....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gauges Not Working!!!

None of the gauges will work if the SEND (S) terminal does not have a signal on it. The voltmeter and speedometer are exceptions in that they don't have "S" terminals. The speedometer is driven by water pressure from the pitot at the back of the boat or the pitot built into the lower unit of the engine. The Tach, fuel, and temp gauges all require a functioning sender to work. The tach sense line comes from the stator on an outboard and from the ignition system on an I/O or inboard. So the answer to your question about do gauges die from sitting, the answer is not likely. One or two may die but not all of them. Highly unlikely.

Last edited: