Gasoline?

Forktail

Ensign
Re: Gasoline?

All fuels will probably have a small amount of some type of alcohol additive acting as an anti-icing agent. The larger 10% alcohol (ethanol) fuels, sometimes known as oxygenated fuels or gasohol, can damage some of the older engines. <br /><br />You might find this of interest....<br /><br />"Material Compatibility: Some fuel system metal components will rust or corrode in the presence of water or acidic compounds. The additional water dissolved in oxygenated gasolines does not cause rusting or corrosion, but water from the phase separation of gasoline oxygenated with ethanol will, given time.<br /><br />Oxygenates can swell and soften natural and some synthetic rubbers (elastomers). Oxygenated gasolines affect elastomers less; the extent of which also depends on the hydrocarbon chemistry of the gasoline, particularly the aromatics content. The effect is of potential concern because fuel systems contain elastomers in hoses, connectors ('O'-rings), valves and diaphragms. The elastomeric materials used in today's vehicles have been selected to be compatible with oxygenated gasolines. Owners manuals approve the use of gasoline oxygenated with 10% ethanol or 15% MTBE. (The compatibility of the other ethers is the same as that of MTBE.)<br /><br />Automobile manufacturers upgraded their fuel system elastomers at different times. Elastomers in pre-1975 vehicles may be sensitive to oxygenated and high-aromatics gasolines. Elastomers in 1975 to 1980 vehicles were upgraded, but not to the same extent as in later models.1 Chevron's experience is that there is not a significant compatibility problem between oxygenated gasolines and elastomers in older cars. There was not an increase in problems when oxygenated gasoline was introduced in 39 metropolitan areas in the winter of 1992. This held true for the western states, which tend to have more older cars in their vehicle populations and for areas where different oxygenates were used (MTBE throughout California; ethanol in Portland, Oregon and Seattle/Tacoma, Washington."

Waterbugtoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

roscoe,<br /><br />Dude, I have to disagree. Lower octane will perform better? In the case of most of these people and their typical outboards, the octane is not going to make ANY noticable difference beyond the exception of carbon buildup (which is the main reason for using a higher octane). In the case of high performance motors, there IS a noticable difference in octanes. If you want to experiment, try running 86 octane in a typical stock motor for a few months, then switch to 101 octane avgas or 130 octane C12 racing fuel. Let us all know which is cleaner burning. BTW: C12 smells so sweet! Yum!<br /><br />

Forktail

Ensign

Higher octane fuels were designed for higher compression engines. The fact that higher octane fuels (sometimes called supreme) contain additional additives (for carbon build up) has nothing to do with the octane rating. These additives could just as well be in the lower octane fuels. Besides, higher octane fuels burn hotter and thus are not as prone to excessive carbon build up.<br /><br />Higher octane fuels do burn slower, cooler, and ignite later. This will retard fuel combustion timing slightly and therefore produce less power. To run the most efficiently, use the lowest octane rating possible without pinging or knocking.<br /><br /> :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Check your manual guys.<br /><br />Many say: "87 octane, minimum".<br /><br />Many also say: "the use of higher octane, premium fuel is specifically recommended because of additives that reduce carbon formation. . . . ."<br /><br />Many say "avoid the use of fuels with alcohols. . . ."<br /><br />That is what the manufacturers say.<br /><br />Forget all the mythology. Do what your maker recommends.

radsrh

Petty Officer 1st Class

roscoe where in tosa are you originally from, I was born and raised in tosa before making the move north?

punt

Cadet

Got me Roscoe, guilty as charged, I never read the earlier posts. <br />I always thought the higher the better, I'll read the owners manual to see what it says.<br /><br />Lower octane might be better, huh, who'd of thunk it¿ ;)

sloopy

Commander

how did you make that upside down queston marko

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sloopy,<br />Go to "settings" "Control Panel" "Keyboard" and set language to Spanish, upper case last numerical key (13) next to backspace will do it. <br /><br />For this you owe me the "oil injection" OK :D

macojoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My manual I just bought for my 89 Yamaha says to use 86 oct. I can only find 87 so that will have to do.<br /> 2 stroke oil is my question. What to use? I used to use walmart in my old 73 Johnson But what should I use in the Yamaha?? :confused: <br />Thanks

ob

Admiral

macojoe,Any two stroke brand of TCW3 is acceptable.Yamaha has their own strain as do many other dealerships.Quicksilver is one example of an aftermarket TCW3 oil.Penzoil TCW3 is also widely used .Wal Mart down here carries both.

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Macojoe,<br />I have the same motor and run on regular 87 gas but always use Yamlube and de-card every year. <br />It runs great :)

brokenboat

Seaman

My boat don't use gas - cause it won't start!<br /><br />Just thought I'd give ya'll something to smile at.<br /><br />Seriously, I've always used what the owners manual said - goes for cars too.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

radsrh,...<br />Lived at 4613 N118th street from '66 till '82.<br />2 blocks south of Hampton, 1 block west of hwy 45.<br />Due south of the Amoco station along the freeway. Attended tosa west, grad '80.<br />Lived in Brown Deer near Green bay and County line. Also N 107th st. and 95th and Capitol.<br />Worked "downtown" near Summerfest. I miss Angelo's Pizza on 16th and Wells, and bbq Baby Back ribs at the Butler Inn. And you??

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Well waterbugtoo, yes , lower octane can perform better. I did not say it would create more hp or acceleration. But overall performance yes. As you stated "beyond the exception of carbon buildup",<br />well carbon build up can really reduce your overall performance, especially if you have an older low tech engine. <br /><br />So with my Force, lower octane fuel burns <br />more completely-and therefore cleaner, causing less carbon build up and fouling plugs less often, result--better performance than if I used a high octane fuel that clogged up my cheap engine. Octane is the resistance to ignition under compression, so only higher compression engines need this added resistance to prevent pre spark detonation.<br /><br />Like the boss said, Read the manual and do what it says.

punt

Cadet

Sloopy, hold down the alt key then type 168, let go and there ya have it¿ Much easier than the Lost Canadian's answer, no¿ ;) <br /><br />All kindsa neat stuff, <br />alt 171 = ½<br />alt 172 = ¼ <br />alt 167 = º<br /><br />go nuts! :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Sloopy, What punt said but on my puttering puter it only works on the key pad, not the numbers obove the alphabet.<br /><br />I can't wait to see what you send us.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If you ever get the chance check out the lower vs higher octane in a STOCK outboard motor with a pyrometer (or on a true dyno). Dont compare it to av gas or race fuels as those contain lead. Compare pump gas and you may be surprised how much cooler the temps are with 87.<br /><br />Very interesting!

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Punt,<br />It's not often your wrong, but your right again! This is really slick ¿ :) <br /><br />Oh No! Sloopy's posts were hard enough to understand when he was using the English keyboard, we will need The Enigma cipher machine to read them from now on :D