Gasoline?

sterling66

Seaman Apprentice
What is the best octane level, for outboards.Now I know i shouldnt ask what kind of oil do you fellows like.Running 7.5 rude.Go!!!!!! :D

ob

Admiral
Re: Gasoline?

87 octane and evin/johnson tcw3 xd25 formula is what I use.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes. Like OB says, 87 octane unleaded, alcohol free gasoline.<br /><br />I like Wal-Mart SuperTech TCW-3 oil. Good stuff, save a buck.<br /><br />If your engine is later than about 1964, use a 50:1 mix. Earlier, use 24:1.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

sloopy

Commander

i have never seen a place that sells gas with alcohal or methenal... ect ect

Forktail

Ensign

The best octane would be the one recommended in your operator's manual. :) <br /><br />My newest Yamaha's say 86, not 87....with a note that says, "if knocking or pinging occurs to use a different brand of gasoline or premium unleaded."<br /><br />According to Yamaha, gasoline (gasohol) containing 10% or less of ethanol can be used. Gasohol containing methanol is not recommended.<br /><br />Check your manual. :D

sloopy

Commander

has any one here ever seen a gas station that sells gas like that?

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It depends on the motor. Older ones should work very well with 87 octane.<br /><br />Sloop, most gas stations that use Ethanol in their gas don't advertise it. Their was one company in Wis that did advertise it for a while, but does not anymore. You can ask. The clerk probably would not know, the manager should. If you always buy from Amoco (Now BP, you will always get pure gasoline with no alcohol. Most newer vehicle engines are designed so that any fuel that has 10 or less percent will have no adverse affects.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Sloopy, Have a station down the road that has ethanol in their mid grade 89 octane.<br /><br />Two miles away is another station that has methanol in some of their gas. <br /><br />Both stations have it labeled on the pump, I think the law says they have to. Maybe this is a northern states thing (Wisconsin) but I beleive I have seen it out east too, when I was on the road.

D

DJ

86 octane is popular in New Mexico and Western Texas.<br /><br />You cannot find "pure" gasoline here in AZ. It's either 10% ethanol or MTB.<br /><br />I usually use the mfg's. oil or the Wal Mart and PennZoil brand.

Forktail

Ensign

"Where is there 86 octane fuel book or real"<br /><br />Both. Labeled on the pump, and written in the owner's manual.<br /><br />vinney, the object is to run a quality fuel with the lowest octane possible without pre-detonation (pinging or knocking). Higher octane fuels ignite later, burn slower, burn cooler, and in affect retard timing. This can result in a small power loss. Higher octane fuels are generally used for higher compression engines to compensate where pre-detonation is a problem. It is a myth that higher octane fuels provide more power. They don't.<br /><br />That's why you need to look in your owner's manual vinney. Each outboard is designed differently and has different compression and fuel delivery timing. Then match that octane requirement with that at the pump the best you can. I have a 2-stroke that recommends 91 octane. I can only find 90 here so I add an octane booster. No problem with the 86. It's labeled right on the pump and readily available. <br /><br />I think roscoe is right about it being required to label the ethanol and methanol at the pump.

skydad

Cadet

Sloopy, There are a lot of stations in Texas that sell Gasahol. Here in Louisiana, the law requires that the station post the info on the pump if the gas contains alcohol.

AdmiralQ

Cadet

Here in Southeastern WI, the EPA requires all gas stations to sell reformulated gasoline, i.e. gasahol or gas with MTBE. Since we don't have access to non-reformulated gas, will running gasahol have a major adverse effect in marine engines, i/o or outboard?

radsrh

Petty Officer 1st Class

AdmiralQ as long as it is 10% or less it should have no effect on the engine, depending on where you do your boating if you have concerns over the gas, get it north of the county line they are not required to mix with alcohol. ;)

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

There is some evidence that the alcohol will attack convential fuel lines. There are lines made to prevent this and I always use them myself. It's worth the extra money to prevent a possible line rupture.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Not only fuel lines but some of the parts in carburetors and fuel pumps.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

AdmiralQ, if you have a big boat and use it on the BIG pond you are kind of stuck with what the marinas have. <br /><br />I was living in Wauwatosa when they forced that reform mtbe on us, not good stuff. A friend from South Shore Yacht club was telling me they were forced to switch to it and it was causing problems for some guys. I would avoid it if possible.<br /><br />If you don't use too much gas, you can always go to dinner in West Bend or Fond du Lac, and bring a few cans back. Wait,? Fond du Lac? Mercury? Ahhhh, maybe you could go outboard shopping.

punt

Cadet

In my outboards I always buy premium, the difference in $ is really not that much, especially with small outboards, what's a buck or 5 more?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Punt, you are missing the point. We don't buy the 87 octane to save $. Lower octane will perform better, as long as it doesn't detonate on compression.<br /><br />Lower octane gas also has less additives, provides the same amount of power, and burns cleaner-faster-hotter, which helps to vaporize the TWC-3 for better distribution and less fouling.

D

DJ

punt,<br /><br />If your engine(s) do not specifically call for a higher octane that 87, don't use the higher octane.<br /><br />Higher octane fuels burn slower and cooler. In an engine not requiring it, it leads to deposits-read piston top deposits and rick sticking in a 2-stroke outboard.