Gasoline in bilge :-(

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Gasoline in bilge :-(

well, after several attempts (resealing the fill-in air valve I assembled), the water column manometer still decreases when standby. It is a very slow decrease though.<br /><br />I bougth the manometer today (0-20 psi), and it also decreases when connected to my fill-in air valve. Slow decrease too.<br /><br />So, I think it is really difficult to get a totally sealed measurement system. Can't imagine how in hell will hold for an hour.<br /><br />Anyways, I'm going to test the fuel tank with the instruments I have (water column and manometer).

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, the pressure test is over. I put 2 psi and the tank made strange noises... so I had not the nerve to put 3 psi... It was difficult to tell if there was a leak, because the fill cap itself allowed air to escape. I put my hand on the cap to force it down, and it sealed. In my opinion, the tank holds the pressure pretty good. However, I found traces on the deck floor under the center console that reveal that somebody cut the floor in the past to access the tank. So I took my decision, I will cut the floor again and order an aluminium or stainles steel tank. In addition, I will also order an aluminium tank for the fresh water, which is leaking somewhere too.<br /><br />Thanks for all the advice. I will make the pressure test to the new tanks before installing.

GeeFrankk

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guys...great info being put out. Had a similar problem with a friends boat. After making sure all hoses, clamps, and gaskets were good, we put dye in the tank. BINGO...Tank had a hole in it, small but still a hole. His tank held 75 gal and was made out of aluminum. Tank was held in w/ss straps with rubber in between. Called the manuf. and gave them the model number and ordered a new tank. Installed it, and replaced all hoses. His tank was on 8 yrs. old.<br /><br />B O A T bring on another thousand

roc468

Recruit

Just a thought you may want to try testing with vacum pressure small incrament gauges are easy to come by and a with a hand operated pump you would be able to test fuel lines seperatly after removing ends and blocking.but you could do that with + air pesure also.Wish you luck.

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is a follow up just to let you all know that we are installing new custom made aluminium tanks, gasoline (359 liters) and fresh water (80 liters). They were built by an independent guy who also builds t-tops and other metal stuff. When we ordered the construction I was a little bit concerned about the final quality. However, the guy proved to do a good work, with nice geometry, clean soldering, good finish on connection spots. In fact, now we are sure we will also order a custom t-top that we have been wanting for long time.<br /><br />Anyways, just in case any of you need it, I found some interesting links to custom tanks manufacturers: <br /><br /> http://www.custommarinefueltanks.com/ <br /> http://www.tek-tanks.com/Pages/frameset.htm <br /> http://www.yachtworks.info/tank_making.htm <br /><br />We opted for aluminium just because it was easy available. I prefer HDPE, but I'm afraid I wont find a manufacturer here. I'm afraid in some years we will have a corrosion problem. We are applying a primer coat to protect the tanks a little bit more. They will corrode with time anyways, but I hope I will have a bigger boat by then.<br /><br />The work takes time, it is kinda depressing seeing your boat in pieces while others go fishing, but it is unvaluable to have the opportunity to inspect every corner of the hull and have brand new tanks.<br /><br />Here is a link with some pictures of the works being carried out in our boat.<br /><br /> http://home2.nikonnet.com/servlet/c...SWORD=nikoneditor_-1192820679&WHO=memberguest <br /><br />We hope to be sailing next friday April 16.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Yo Kesh,<br />Looks like things are coming together for ya. Best of luck and keep us posted.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

I added two pictures showing the new tanks now in place.<br /><br />Look for pictures 9 and 10.<br /> Tai-Tai tanks repair pictures <br /><br />I found it difficult to be sailing next friday April 16, but anyway, we will be out on the water soon !!!

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Lookin' good Kesh. I sure hope you don' have to take those out anytime soon. ;) <br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, floor is now in place. I added more pictures. We are almost ready !!!!!<br /><br />Look for pictures 11 to 18.<br /> More pictures !! <br /><br />I'm now concerned about the reconnection of all the instruments, steering, and electric system...hope my mechanic wont miss anything... I will have to recheck everything by myself. It is sad, because I managed to review all the electric system and cabling. I reconnected, changed cables, put new connectors here and there...all that work was lost....

bobingardner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Those are great pictures. Thanks for sharing them. Good luck with the boat.

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

Still finishing the new floor. I have added a picture as of today. Unfortunately, one member of the fiberglassing crew got sick, so works are delayed.<br /><br />Anyways, in the meantime the outboard has been repainted, and the engine cover has new blue letters and design (both are rotulated decals custom made) that matches the design of the Tai-Tai logo.<br /><br />The new picture is the #19.<br /> Tai-Tai tank repairs pictures <br /><br />As the boat won't be finished this weekend :( I'm thinking in using the time to reconnect by myself part of the center console electric system. I'm familiar with most of the stuff, but not that much with the instrumentation. Do you have any diagrams in PDF format for my Evinrude 225HP year 1994 ?