Gasket Sealant Recommendation(s) for Exhaust Manifold and Adapter Plate

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: Gasket Sealant Recommendation(s) for Exhaust Manifold and Adapter Plate

Nice video! Will have to read your resto thread tomorrow.

Thanks bonz!

I figured that I'd make a video of the assembly so I quit coming-up with excuses to tear it apart :lol: :facepalm:

I ran it in the driveway this evening for ~10min. Ran on the cool side (I don't believe the t-stat was closing)...but otherwise good, steady idle and no leaks!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

How far did you go with this rebuild? I have a 1988 70hp Evinrude that I'm considering rebuilding. Needs a replacement crank as the splines are gone in it..

classiccat

How far did you go with this rebuild? I have a 1988 70hp Evinrude that I'm considering rebuilding. Needs a replacement crank as the splines are gone in it..

Not too far...
  • the midsection was completely replaced; the external exhaust housing was bent (appears as though the PO dropped the boat on the ramp...guessing the leg was a temporary boat stand)
  • LU reseal
  • new head and head cover gaskets...and added a tell-tale in the cyl head.
  • exhaust manifold
  • carb and fuel pump rebuilds
  • powerpack, rectifier and 3 new ignition coils
  • I was this >||< close to removing the pistons due to some scoring in cyl-1; good compression #'s stopped me from traveling down the road of full-rebuild :)

classiccat

Oh, and I did go back and check the videos of it running yesterday evening.

Water starts flowing from the exit ports (above cav plate) at the 60s mark on the initial cold start and 30s after a subsequent warm start.

Gun readings were in the 100-120F range w/ the t-stat open.The plugs weren't fouled; we'll see how she runs in the tank.