Gasket and sealer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckaiser

Seaman Apprentice
Working on a new-to-me 98 Excel 4.3 Mercruiser alpha 1 Gen 2. One of the tasks is replacing the inside trim hoses. Dropped the connector plate at the bottom of the transom, undid all the hoses, ran the new hoses. All OK so far.
Cleaned up the connector plate. It had a lot of clear silicone gooped all over it.
Now; I have a clean plate and a new gasket. What sealer do I use? This is one of those sink-the-boat-if-I-get-it-wrong things, so I want to make sure I get it right. :)

And I'd assume that I coat both sides of the gasket?

I have some RTV Black Ultra, but I don't know that this is the correct stuff to use...

Thanks!

Charlie

tochinski

Cadet
Re: Gasket and sealer question

When you said "connector plate", did you mean "Hydraulic Trim Line Connector Assembly" p/n 98825A4. It has one gasket and one rubber seal. RTV Black Ultra is similar to Quicksilver Perfect Seal and it is used on all gaskets, but not rubber seals. Yes, you use seal on both sides of gasket.

Also, you can check service manual.
http://www.4shared.com/document/IqHfWsuP/Mercruiser_Service_Manual_14_A.htm

ckaiser

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, that's the part I have, but there's no rubber seal. There's a large paper gasket that goes between the plate and the transom housing, and a smaller paper gasket that goes between the plate and the anode that bolts to it...

Charlie

Fun Times

Staff member

Yes, that's the part I have, but there's no rubber seal. There's a large paper gasket that goes between the plate and the transom housing, and a smaller paper gasket that goes between the plate and the anode that bolts to it...

Charlie
Here's your correct answers, Start on page 7A-5, Then pay close attention to pages 7A-7 & 7A-8;) then have a look at all the other pages as well.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14a7.pdf

ckaiser

Seaman Apprentice

Boattech; that's good info; I wouldn't have thought to look in that section of the manual. But one thing; it still doesn't address the gasket that sits above the trim connector plate. My new anode has the seal and gasket for below the plate, but I still can't find anything definitive on the upper gasket.

A friend who does boat repair says some permatex #3 should work, or use silicone/urethane caulk. I might call a mercruiser dealer and see what they say. Then I'll be really confused. LOL...

Thanks!

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.