Gas

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Gas

GG has it right. U.S. is not the only big OPEC "sucker" anymore. China in particular has been placing a huge, and growing, demand on Mideast oil. "Supply vs. demand" affects the price.

dolluper

Captain

We have Oil in the west Alberta ,east Neffieland and other places developing in northern regions we have so much we sell it to the states for profit instead of being self suffish ent ,then we buy from the ERR-abbs go figure guess it's just to keep you guy's happy. We are paying 320 Can. right now for an american gallon it should be about a buck for a gallon US

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

thas arright<br /> G W is securing our oil now. Rumsfield said that when we pull out, gas should be buck a gallon :) <br /> makes me warm and fuzzy :)

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is it just me or will OPEC shoot themselves in the foot eventually. Keep jacking up the prices and the auto makers will have to design fuel economic vehicles and alternate fuel vehicles. This I expect will be driven by the consumers
Thats exactly what we should be doing. Oil is a finite resource and from it there are some essentials that there are no alternatives. Can anybody come up with a good reason why if we have the technology to make cars more efficient we shouldnt. What is the point is running and inefficient engine to get less horse power. Weird. If fuel is expensive the consumers force the car companies to improve there mpg if it isnt they dont. There is more to power than cubic inches!

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lucky guys you Americans, gas is around euro 4,80 a gallon here (abt 5 USD?) :mad: <br />Frank

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Frank Hanhart:<br /> Lucky guys you Americans, gas is around euro 4,80 a gallon here (abt 5 USD?) :mad: <br />Frank
I don't think that luck has much to do with Americans paying less than europeans for gas, it's just that you pay a lot more taxes than we do. In America we pay alot more for health care and education for our kids than you do, so we may be even in some instances.<br />I don't know how much longer that parity if it does exist at all will last, the cost of healthcare in America is fast approaching somewhere between 20% and 30% of our GNP depending on which or whose fuzzy math is actually closer to the correct figure.

Moody Blue

Captain

Here in Ontario we are paying $3.86/CDN gal or about $3.20/US gal. If you convert CDN$ to US$ we are paying the equivalent of $4.06/US gal. How 'bout them apples. Can't wait to see the price this summer at the docks. <br />The north american culture has evolved around the automobile. No quick fix is in the cards, and as long as the consumer is willing to buy large inefficient vehicles and pay $3 or $4 or $5/gallon for gas nothing will change. <br />The auto industry has not been really pressured into developing better fuel and drive systems. Why should they, it costs massive amounts of money for r&d and that will affect their bottom line. Besides would YOU buy a vehicle that has only 65HP and takes 28 seconds from 0-60mph with a top speed of 80mph? We want performance and speed but what price will we be willing to pay for it ? Here in Ontario we don't invest in mass public transit systems. We keep building more and larger roads and freeways. There is no incentive to take the transit. It is inconvienient. We are starting to see the SMART cars here now similar to what is popular in Europe. Thats a step in the right direction I guess. I read in the news last week that China will eclipse the US in fuel consumption within a decade. Wonder what that will do to prices ?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by RodC:<br />....and as long as the consumer is willing to buy large inefficient vehicles and pay $3 or $4 or $5/gallon for gas nothing will change. <br />
...as long as people are willing to allow their governments to rape them through taxation of gasoline, nothing will change!. :mad:

Joenational

Cadet

Yeah well even here in the U.S. out transit is going up as well. everything is going up which is normal in some sort of way howevery nobody is making more money which is why it taking such a toll on everybody. Here in NY depending on the grade gas you pick you looking at 2.19 plus I have a high performance car and well i cannot have anything except super which is 2.40 a gallon. now with the boat it is going to be fun droping money and burning it away (literally)

Joenational

Cadet

Yeah well even here in the U.S. out transit is going up as well. everything is going up which is normal in some sort of way howevery nobody is making more money which is why it taking such a toll on everybody. Here in NY depending on the grade gas you pick you looking at 2.19 plus I have a high performance car and well i cannot have anything except super which is 2.40 a gallon. now with the boat it is going to be fun droping money and burning it away (literally)

LadyFish

Admiral

We're at $1.88, however the local news said to expect a $.15 increase over the next two week.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Check again hon, it was $2.089 this morning.<br />How do you feel about paddling the boat?

KennyKenCan

Commander

I paid $2.11 last night. 28 gallons!! Cost me $59.08 to fill up! Glad I didn't use the last 2 gallons in the tank! Would have been $63.30!!<br /><br />I'm broke.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and in venezuela premium unleaded was like 28 cents a gallon :) :) burn baby burn :) <br /> part of the reason I am thinking of moving there with my little retirement pay and the profits from the sale of my place :) <br /> that and the weather is warm year round and the fishing was awesome :)