Gas vs Electric for 2nd motor

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 40HP which is great when having fun or going somewhere but sucks fuel like a pig when trolling around the lake or moving slowly from spot to spot fishing. And after reading this post I thought I would add it sucks gas like a pig when going fast too. :)

I came across a 4hp Merc with a tank built in to the top for $150. (Older model. maybe early 80s?) Tiller arm on it,

There is also the options of a 30lb thrust electric motor (new) for the same price. No foot controls.

In the name of saving money I want to add one to my boat. Is there any benefits to either that make them better? I have a 1000amp deep cycle battery that says it has 230mins reserve. I've never put it on the charger since I bought it in May and it's run GPS, Fishfinder, lights, bilge AND started the motor many many many many times. In fact it still kicks it over. I'm running around ina 14' runabout fiberglass.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gas vs Electric for 2nd motor

A 30lb thrust electric will move the boat, but not well, you need to go bigger for it to be be worth going electric and I wouldn't do it with just one battery to run everything.

bekosh

Lieutenant

I have a 40HP which.....sucks fuel like a pig....
ROFLMAO1.gif

Sorry. What was the question again?:confused:
;)

aspeck

Staff member

Define going from place to place ... are you talking about moving up the shoreline 20 or 30 feet at a time while fishing, or are you talking going several hundred yards right now ... If you are talking about the first, go with the trolling motor, but get yourself a battery exclusively for the electric motor - and you probably won't be too pleased with the trolling part.

For trolling or for just puttering around you will want the little 4hp. That still isn't much, but it should be enough for what you are wanting, and should be a bit easier on gas than the 40hp.

If the 4hp is in good working condition and you want it more for trolling or going longer distances at slower speeds, go with the gas motor.

Just my $0.02.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you want to ruin that 1000A deep cycle battery I would suggest you charge it after every use. At least install an on-board maintainer (like a Schumacher -- $24.95). Plug in at the dock and that battery will last a long time. As for your 40HP sucking gas like a pig at idle and full throttle, that's a stretch. At full throttle it burns about 4 gallons/hour. Any outboard, new or hold burns 10% of its rated horsepower in g/hr. My carbed 75 HP Merc idles at .5 - .6 g/hr so your 40 should be roughly half that. That is not sucking gas like a pig. So the question here is what should you do for power. If you slow troll (really slow troll -- say less than 1 mph) then electric is the answer. However, if your only battery is the deep cycle, I suggest you use it for accessories and the troller and put a separate marine starting battery on the engine. If you run down the deep cycle with the troller, you now have to either rope start the 40HP or row.