Gas Usage

Hey fellow iboaters, just looking to see gas usage to help decide which engine size to go with for my boat...

if you could say what your boat is (bayliner 185 for example)
Which engine (mercruiser 4.3 220 HP for example)
roughly how many hours you use the boat a month
and how much gas you use a month (gallons or litres)

also including what you did on your boat would help to, as guys just fishing won't use as much gas as guys that tube/wakeboard all the time.

It would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Philster

Captain
Re: Gas Usage

Fishing trips heading out four hours, then trolling and then heading back four hours? They don't use a lot of fuel?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

generally you can figure 1/10 of your rated hp in gallons per hour at full throttle.... IE 140hp burbs 14 gallons per hour at top speed and 260hp, 26 gph

this is not written in stone but is a pretty good starting point just to get an idea of what to expect

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For reference, I had a 2160 with a GM 3.0 in it. It got 3 mpg exactly. My 2352 with a 5.7 gets 2.0 exactly. Now, this is with a 15 X 15 prop, used to slow the boat for trolling. My heavy 2556, with a 5.7 gets 1.76 with a 15 X 15 prop.

2160 is a 21'er
2352 is a 23'er
2556 is a 25'er

Fishing trips heading out four hours, then trolling and then heading back four hours? They don't use a lot of fuel?

A 4 hour fishing trip won't use as much gas as a 4 hour tubing/wakeboarding/watersport trip is what i was trying to say.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Grady White 226
200 HP Evinrude Ocean Pro Outboard
150 hours a month
~450 gallons a month
Fishing Trips ;)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

also including what you did on your boat would help to, as guys just fishing won't use as much gas as guys that tube/wakeboard all the time.

It would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Don't quite understand this comment as most people I know do not run an engine while fishing unless they are motor trolling. So it still comes down to gal per hr while under power. I still fish, no power, many hrs per month but still use the same amount of fuel traveling to spots as I would if just cruising the lake. Difference being I spend many hours on the water anchored or drifting.

Philster

Captain

A 4 hour fishing trip won't use as much gas as a 4 hour tubing/wakeboarding/watersport trip is what i was trying to say.

Who tubes for four non-stop hours? After 30 mins, isn't it someone else's turn? :facepalm:

>Running out to sea for four hours is four hours on the meter (four hours of sucking fuel).
>Tubing for four hours is something less than four hours or includes various amounts of idle time or flat-out shut down time.

cyclops2

Banned

Phil has got tubing right. IMPOSSIBLE to make a usefull statement, for so many changing conditions & time actually running & pulling.

Rich

cyclops2

Banned

You should burn up a lot less than I do with a 5 L 220 hp in a 18 1/2' bowrider with almost 34 gallons in it at 8 am.

All gone at 12.00 .

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

All I can say is my fuel usage is AFREAKINGLOT!!

Sorry not much fishing going on my boat, 7.4L MPI is not for the faint of heart, just wait someday I will get a 496MAG or a 525!! OH YEAH!!

we boat most weekends throughout the summer, 30 gallons per weekend minimum, but some were using the whole 60 gallon tank, on average I would say 45 gallons a weekend or 180 gallons per month in the boat.

Philster

Captain

All I can say is my fuel usage is AFREAKINGLOT!!

Sorry not much fishing going on my boat, 7.4L MPI is not for the faint of heart, just wait someday I will get a 496MAG or a 525!! OH YEAH!!

525 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Skip the 496 if you already have a 454!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hey fellow iboaters, just looking to see gas usage to help decide which engine size to go with for my boat..
It doesn't matter. Since you are looking at a specific size boat, engine choice won't make $10 difference in a weekend. You'll spend more in ice. Bot fuel economy is more about use and hull size and design than engine choice. Go with the most horsepower you can afford. MPI if there is a choice before CARB. Nothing else we tell you will be useful. All of our boats are different, and I use my boat differently depending on where we go. Mead I can burn 40 gallons a day. Parker 15. Havasu, if I sit in the Channel all day, 2 gallons. If I cruise to the I40 Bridge and then to Havasu Springs, I can break the Mead numbers . . .