Gas Tank Removal?? OMG! Ranger 363V

Jim Mullen

Cadet
All I can say is holy #$%^&. I can't believe the problem I'm haing trying to get the two gas tanks from under the seats of my boat. Does anyone know any trick to getting this done without wrecking the tanks or the fiberglass on my boat.:confused:
Thanks all,
Jim

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Gas Tank Removal?? OMG! Ranger 363V

Welcome to Iboats Jim..

Allthough I havent done this with your boat myself..some pics might help us come up with something..(the more pics the better).

YD.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I do not think it is possible....... I had a Ranger and the tanks were obviously installed before the deck and cap assembly.

I can't recommend any short cuts........ what is the reason to remove the tanks.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi jim........welcome to i boats :)

tank removal can mean deck removal....and since bob has BTDT,,,,it sounds like it does.......yep....we need pics.

dont worry....these types of repairs are done all the time....you can do it yourself.....we can and will walk you thru it.

Jim Mullen

Cadet

Added some picture attachments. I am removing the tanks because when I removed the seats there was some coagulated gas and oil on top of the tanks that really stunk. I really want to be sure after I do this all over that I dont have a gas leak or a that is getting ready to leak because of wearing from the bottom. I would really hate to pour my heart into redoing the boat and have it leak shortly after possibly ruining anything.Mostly the reason is I'm a little crazy when it comes to rebuilding things and want to even clean out under the gas tanks,replace hoses with ease, and get a good visual inspection of the tanks themselves. I was hoping to remove them and save me and my compulsive behavoir some cash.
Thank you all for all the help,
Jim Mullen
Happy owner of a 1990 Ranger 363V
Can't keep this grin off my face.

Attachments

• underconstruction.jpg
    underconstruction.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 6
  • tank5.jpg
    tank5.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 5
  • peskyfiberglass.jpg
    peskyfiberglass.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 4

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Cant you just tip and remove the fuel tanks ?

YD.

Jim Mullen

Cadet

I wish I wish I wish. Funny, this problem reminds me of my rc airplanes polyvinal tanks. before I install one in a fuselage I always put fiber tape wrapped around the tank with loops out the back so I can pull on them like handles. If it had these I bet I could muscle them out, but alas there is no way for me to get leverage on the tank to pop the fronts out and slip them out. I was thinking of maybe dropping twine down in front and working it under the front lip and giving her a mighty pull. I think I'll go try this right now. Wish me luck!!!
Thanks,
Jim

Jim Mullen

Cadet

Happy happ happy happy!!!! It came to me while I was responding to the post. I grabbed some 12 guage wire and threaded a loop aound the tank close the the front quater of the tank. Tied it off after getting all the way around and gave her a slow strong pull. Bingo! Repeated on driver side tank and got that one to come too. Thank you everyone one for the help. Talking it out on here really helped me out and got the gears turning.:)
Thanks Again,
Jim

Jim Mullen

Cadet

Now that that is over. What can I do with the small amount of fuel left in each tank? How can I pressure test them without killing myself, and can I clean the inside with anything to get any residues out? Not that I can see any but figured it couldn't hurt???
Thanks,
Jim

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

(I have never done this myself so it wouldn't be my fault.)

I've heard of using kerosene & fine white sand box sand. Pour 'em in & shake well. Flush out with hot water & let them dry. I couldn't tell you all the stuff involved in doing that safely, I know there are methods so it doesn't blow up or burn. I'm sure there are others on here who have done something to clean their tanks. Try a search of this forum.

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm no guru,but I don't think I'd do the sand thing.If it's that "lite" I'd get rid of the fuel,then pour in some "orange" cleaner,shake it up,let it sit then repete afew times.Can't hurt.