Gas tank hole fastenings

Skipperjay

Recruit
Just removed the fuel sending unit from the 2000 Osprey 175 and saw that each fastener hole has square nut depressions for machine screws. How does that work?. Wouldn't they need to be glued in place?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
well what screws were in the old sender? Same screws should work and most are fine thread. Some are self tappers, others have inserts in the plastic tank to accept the screws. So a pic would be good to see what you are dealing with. I use a selfie stick quite often to get pics in hard to reach places.

Skipperjay

Recruit
The nuts were gone. Previous owner used screws and an awful caulk that rubberized from gas contact. I picked a s/s self tapping screw and it worked. Made a gasket from engine block material. Now how do I fasten cleats on gunwhale since I can’t get underneath?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
You may have to remove parts of the interior to access the underside of the cleat area. On my smaller boat I had to drill 6" holes after I took off the interior pieces to gain access. They are usually put on before the cap goes on so you can't get at them without some thinking/engineering.

Skipperjay

Recruit
Thanks, that was my thought as well. I don’t trust “anchors”. I prefer through-bolts and backing plates.