Gas tank access

Esamour

Cadet
I am new in the forum, and new boat owner. I recently purchased a 1996, 16 ft Sea Nymph, with a 50 hp Johnson motor , the boat is in excellent shape. there are a few things I have to repair, one of them is the gas gauge. I’ve read other comments and recommendations regarding how to troubleshoot and repair. But my question is how to access the tank. There is a hatch in the front of the boat where I can see the tank but is far from the hatch. . shouldn’t the tank be directly under the hatch to inspect the sender? Would it be possible the tank has moved? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats . . .

I'm not familiar with your exact boat, but usually there is an inspection/access hatch over the rear portion of the tank. Keep looking, it may be under flooring/carpet, etc.

It is doubtful that the tank moved, else you would notice other issues.

Got any pictures to share?

Esamour

Cadet
Welcome to iBoats . . .

I'm not familiar with your exact boat, but usually there is an inspection/access hatch over the rear portion of the tank. Keep looking, it may be under flooring/carpet, etc.

It is doubtful that the tank moved, else you would notice other issues.

Got any pictures to share?
Thanks for your reply. I don’t have pictures. I have the boat stored at a friend’s rental property, (I can’t have in my house due to city regulations). The Tanks is red plastic, so I thought it was a portable type tank… I have not seen any other hatches but I will double check. The front section of the boat is raised and it has a hatch for the trolling motor battery, a hatch for a live well and the other one where I can see the tank.
thanks again

zool

Captain
You may have a large screw down panel, like a casting deck, for removal of the tank. This may have been added by a PO if you havnt owned it since new. Ive yet to see a red plastic tank installed below deck as OEM, most plastic in hull tanks are an opaque clear or tan. The sending unit is a maintenance item, so I find it hard to believe SN installed a tank without an inspection hatch, or removable panel. Every boat I have had had access to the unit, as its wired to the gauge and grounded.

Esamour

Cadet
You may have a large screw down panel, like a casting deck, for removal of the tank. This may have been added by a PO if you havnt owned it since new. Ive yet to see a red plastic tank installed below deck as OEM, most plastic in hull tanks are an opaque clear or tan. The sending unit is a maintenance item, so I find it hard to believe SN installed a tank without an inspection hatch, or removable panel. Every boat I have had had access to the unit, as its wired to the gauge and grounded.
Thanks for the reply. I will look for an inspection hatch, definitively does not have a removable panel unless is under the carpet. I have not noticed anything.

Esamour

Cadet
Well these are the pictures i took. There are two inspection wells one show the gas hose connections and the other one not sure what it is but is another hose. I can’t see the gas tank sender.

Esamour

Cadet
I ended up removing the floor panel, which was difficult because the front seat was attached to an aluminum plate with bolts and nuts. Had to stick my hand between the floor panel and the gas tank with a wrench to hold the nut from turning. Finally I could see the fuel sender but was partially covered with the plate that supports the seat. definitely you could not remove the screws holding the sender to pull it out.
Has any one had this problem? I was able to measure ohms between the sender and ground. But could not stick my hand up into the instrument panel to check the gauge. The gauge goes to zero when you turn the key on, but can’t get to it to follow the wires and see where the power is coming from.

Attachments

• 381AC025-6263-4A8E-A1B2-A549BB25F795.jpeg
    381AC025-6263-4A8E-A1B2-A549BB25F795.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4