Gas - Oil Mixture on old Evinrudes outboards

tphoyt

Ensign
There is only 1 way for a D I Y person to ...Completely ...mix the 2 liquids together.
And KNOW they are protecting the engine from friction wear.
I’m not to sure about that. Common sense is not all common anymore. I have seen some crazy ways people mix gas and oil. Even after reading the instructions.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
oil and fuel mixes ... if you are worried just shake the tank a few minutes before heading out..

it is important to mix oil in a quarter full tank and finish the fill up after

never had any problems in 60 + years of boating ...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

4. Now add the gasoline to the container. Quicksilver recommends the use of non-ethanol (REC 90) gasoline if it is available. When using modern oils it is not necessary to shake the container to mix the oil with the gas.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you have a large tank to premix, it is best to do it in stages. So add a pint of oil, then 6 gal of gasoline, a pint of oil, 6 gal gasoline, until you get close to full. Then 1/2 pint of oil and 3 gal gasoline.

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
When poured in, it will settle on the Bottom
correct. but once mixed ive observed it seems to stay mixed for as long as you should be using the fuel. that guy was saying it needs to be mixed periodically, which i had never needed to do in 40 years. maybe air cooled oil is different, or ancient automotive oil used to settle, hence his "advice" i dunno

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
correct. but once mixed ive observed it seems to stay mixed for as long as you should be using the fuel. that guy was saying it needs to be mixed periodically, which i had never needed to do in 40 years. maybe air cooled oil is different, or ancient automotive oil used to settle, hence his "advice" i dunno
Yes, I agree. Mixing oil has been easy for me but I almost always use omc oil or any major marine brand.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 1st Class
I always mix 6 gallons at a time in the 14 gallon O B tank and the 6 gallon tank in a RUN DRY TANK. I run a tank TOTALLY DRY. THen switch to the other tank and run it dry. Always at 100 to 1 ratio doing it every summer since 1986. Same compression when I check hand pull resistance.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I always mix 6 gallons at a time in the 14 gallon O B tank and the 6 gallon tank in a RUN DRY TANK. I run a tank TOTALLY DRY. THen switch to the other tank and run it dry. Always at 100 to 1 ratio doing it every summer since 1986. Same compression when I check hand pull resistance.
What oil brand and what HP motors and low speed only?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The 100:1 Ratio was retracted by OMC, probably because of lack proper Mixing, but they claimed it was because of a lack of Oil on the Internals potentially during extended Downtime, was the Reason. The early VRO System did go leaner than 100:1 at Idle, but even it, was providing about 50:1 at WOT.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have used ACE Hardware Water Cooled2 stroke forever. With NGK 1 rheat range hotter than standard. About every 3... 6 gallons tank fulls I add and mix in about 4 ounces of seafoam. Done Always use Marine High Test Non E dock gas . Hot or cold engine 1/4 of a second of cranking.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I have used ACE Hardware Water Cooled2 stroke forever. With NGK 1 rheat range hotter than standard. About every 3... 6 gallons tank fulls I add and mix in about 4 ounces of seafoam. Done Always use Marine High Test Non E dock gas . Hot or cold engine 1/4 of a second of cranking.
TCW-3 is the Spec. I would skip the SeaFoam, as there far better Snake Oils on the Market