gas mileage increase

lyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
guys,
my brother-in-law installed a gadget called a dolphin fin on our 2359 hardtop. it bolts to the outdrive & places a fin below the prop. the product claims to take displaced water from the prop wash and use that to lift the boat....and believe me it works...our last trip was an increase in gas mileage of 48 %... I know that won't happen for everyone but our boat is rather heavy and the difference is quite incredible. The fin only cost $ 30.....the last time out we took the same route with the same conditions and even went futher than before, the difference was the last two times we went out it took $ 175 to top off ( both times ) -- now it only took $ 90 to top off.......I am telling you guys, you need to look into this thing.

scrat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: gas mileage increase

can you give more info such as manufacturer? A google search on dolphin fin gets you just that.. tons of info on dolphins but nothing on a motor accessory.

lyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am going back down next weekend, I'll check all the info and post it here... I know that Hydrosport boats has something kind of like it but does not claim to improve gas mileage so I am not sure if it is the same thing or not...I used google with the key words dolphin, fin, and boat and thier product came up, but like I said i'll have more specific info after next weekend.
meanwhile...check this link out
http://www.everythingboats.com/asksurveyor/forum/bbs.pl?read=4704

lyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it is called a DOLEFIN or a whale tail and I think there are a few more generic names for this product....it bolts to the plate above the prop. & acts more as a stabilizing device than a gas saver, I also found that there were nine people aboard on the last two trips and only five of us when we ran that same route ( thus the reason for the mileage increase )...I an still convinced that it helps on mileage (the box said from 10 to 50 % ) although I believe that is a bit optimistic......but for only $ 30 yall should run your own test and see how it works for you