Gas cap ? on a 1989 bayliner capri 85hp force outboard

jayseas

Cadet
I have a 89 bayliner i picked up at the end of last year. i have question on the gas cap. Is the gas cap supposed to be able vent gas. I have gas venting through the cap. I know i need to check the vent line to the tank to see if it is clogged, will do tomorrow. So i need to know if the cap is supposed to be able to vent. Or do i have bad gas cap?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Portable tank or built in tank?

Separate vent (next to filler) or vented cap?

If vented cap, you simply overfilled the tank

airshot

Rear Admiral
The poster mention checking the vent line to the tank, so I would guess it is a built in tank. If it is, then the cap will not be vented !! Check vent hose from tank and be sure there is an upward loop in that hose so any water entering the external vent will not run back into the tank.

jayseas

Cadet
The poster mention checking the vent line to the tank, so I would guess it is a built in tank. If it is, then the cap will not be vented !! Check vent hose from tank and be sure there is an upward loop in that hose so any water entering the external vent will not run back into the tank.
Yes built in tank guys. Then there is something wrong with the gas tank cap setup, gas vents out around the cap setup. I will be looking at this stuff today after church. Thank you for the responses.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Some fills have integrated vent hose and those do have vented caps

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yes built in tank guys. Then there is something wrong with the gas tank cap setup, gas vents out around the cap setup. I will be looking at this stuff today after church. Thank you for the responses.
Clogged vent hose ??