Garmin power

Pavetim

Seaman
I have my garmin wired to a hot terminal under my dash panel. Everytime i start the motors the garmin kicks off, any advice how i can wire it so does not kick off

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sounds like the hot is only hot when the key is in the "On" position and "Start" interrupts the power. Use a test light or meter to find an always hot connection.

Things like lights are fed from an always hot source. Find where the power feeds the dash from the battery and tie into that.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The voltage at the unit is dropping below the units minimum requirement.

The most common cause is a weak battery.

Time for a new battery

Pavetim

Seaman
I did test the wires and its hot with battery switches in, not just when engines are running. Idk about the battery deal, i mean if they were that weak they wouldnt start the motors

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Idk about the battery deal, i mean if they were that weak they wouldnt start the motors
Put a meter on your battery terminals then start the boat.
Bet voltages drops below 12 volts with the starter turning

Better yet, put a meter on the power cord at the back of the unit.

sam am I

Commander
Is this a new install? or an old install that just started doing this?

If it's new, could be a few things as others have pointed out, if the battery is most likely good and you're not sure yet if it's in the wiring or it is just the unit causing the issue, then I'd run a temp power connection cable directly to the battery...

Start the boat see what happens, if it stays on, you're batt is good(as we guessed already), the unit is behaving and it points back to the wiring/hookup at the dash.

If it pops off starting up the motor, double extra recheck that the battery is good and properly charging....If double sure the batt is good, the unit is maybe defective(recall, it's directly to a known good battery, has to be the unit)

If it is an old install that just started doing this, then it's probably a corrosion/ wring issues, flaky ground etc, or the battery is tailing off.(as above, run power cable direct to batt and go from there)

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I had a Humminbird GPS/fishfinder unit that used to do that. It was wired into a circuit off the starting battery. Every time I started or restarted the motor, I had to restart the Humminbird, which was not very handy when pulling skiers or tubes (the Humminbird served as my speedometer, so I needed it when pulling folks).

I solved the problem by installing a house battery that is isolated from the starting battery and powering the Humminbird off the house battery. I think the others are correct in speculating that the starter is drawing down the voltage enough to trip up the Garmin.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Good starting batteries will not drop below 8.5VDC when cranking the motor. If the voltage at the Garmin is below 8.5, either the battery is bad or the wiring has resistance causing a voltage drop.