Garlic Mashed Taters

D

DJ

I love garlic mashed potatoes. However, I've tried, I can't find a good recipe for them.<br /><br />How do y'all make them?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Garlic Mashed Taters

2 pounds (6 medium) potatoes, cut into 1-inch chucks <br /> <br /> <br />1 1/2 cups lowfat milk <br /> <br /> <br />3 tablespoons margarine <br /> <br /> <br />4 cloves garlic, minced <br /> <br /> <br />1/8 teaspoon salt <br /> <br /> <br />1/8 teaspoon pepper <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> In large saucepan cook potatoes in 2 inches boiling water, covered, about 10 minutes until tender; drain thoroughly, then shake potatoes over low heat 1 to 2 minutes to dry thoroughly. Mash potatoes with potato masher or beat with electric hand mixer; reserve. Place milk, margarine and garlic in small saucepan; set over medium-low heat and simmer until heated through, beat into potatoes until thoroughly mixed and fluffy. Mix in additional milk, if necessary, to reach desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. <br /> <br />There ya go. Enjoy :cool:

D

DJ

SBN,<br /><br />Thanks. I was missing a step or two. :rolleyes:

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

I made those tonight for my wife and kids. They were awesome! Thanks for the recipe.<br /><br />We also had T-bone steaks (thinly sliced) topped with sauteed mushrooms and a little minced garlic (cooked in butter and Worstershire sauce), grilled corn on the cob. When I grill my corn, I leave it in the husk and submerge them in water for about 1/2 hour. I then grill them until they get grill marks on them. Then I submerge them in cold water again (for about 3 minutes) and them put them back on the grill. It comes out good, sweet and bright yellow. You don't even need salt on it for flavor.<br /><br />Now it's hot-dogs and top-Ramen the rest of the week to stay within our budget. :)

Link

Rear Admiral

DJ good post and thanks for the recipe also Spinner. 4:22 pm here on the Left coast and I'm going to give it a try in a about a hour.<br /><br />James, you ate like a King for a day! ;)

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We don't make them as much as we used to, but have a couple of tricks. We roast garlic in one of those garlic roaster things with some olive oil. Use red creamer potatoes and light cream in place of the milk. The Best garlic mashers we ever had were at Phillips (sp?) seafood restaurant at the inner harbor in Baltimore.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Scooch_2:<br /> We don't make them as much as we used to, but have a couple of tricks. We roast garlic in one of those garlic roaster things with some olive oil. Use red creamer potatoes and light cream in place of the milk. The Best garlic mashers we ever had were at Phillips (sp?) seafood restaurant at the inner harbor in Baltimore.
My MIL and wife went out to eat last night and ordered garlic mashed potatoes.. they were so good that they asked how they were made. Almost that exact recipe. <br />I ofcourse elected not to go thinking they would go to some Fish or Asian place and stayed home and tried Spinners recipe... which turned out very good.. Mrs.Link tried a taste when she got home and said yes they are good but try red boilers next time and gave me the recipe they had just scarfed! :)

LadyFish

Admiral

I make them a lot DJ. My recipe is a bit different than everyone elses.<br /><br />I roast my garlic like this. Take the entire bunch, cut the pointed end off about 1/8", place cut side up on a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, roast in a 300 degree oven for about 30 minutes. You want to be able to squeeze the garlic out of the skin easily.<br /><br />Quarter and boil new potatoes with the skins on. Drain. Pinch as much garlic out of the skin as you want. Start with about half the garlic. Add butter, salt and sour cream to potatoes. I use a beater to mash. Taste and adjust your garlic if you need to.<br /><br />I think you can probably adjust this to low fat by using low fat yogurt and butter buds.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Okay folks, I'm not a garlic Conny Sewer.<br /><br />Is there a big difference between buying "minced" garlic and having to prepare the garlic yourself?<br /><br />I used minced garlic and enjoyed mine the other night (will be eating leftovers at work today).

sangerwaker

Commander

Minced works, but fresh has a much better flavor IMO. We used to use minced all the time, but everything tastes a lot better since we have been using fresh only.