Garden hose to rinse the boat and trailer

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need to buy a garden hose to rinse my boat and trailer at the launch ramp after a day's outing. My boat is just a 12 foot jon boat.

Two Questions:

1. Have you found that a 25 foot hose is sufficient, or a little too short?

2. Anyone try the expandable 1/2" garden hose to rinse their boat? Or are expandable garden hoses a bad thing? I see a lot of negative reviews on amazon (not for boat rinsing though) but then again a lot of positive reviews. ..... If using an expandable garden hose, any recommendation for a good one?

EDIT: Just thought of something. Using a nozzle that allows a lot of water through when the handle is pressed (not the nozzle that comes with the expandable hose), will the hose start collapsing and be a pain?

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Depends on where your outdoor faucet is. You will fond 25’ a bit short When walking around the boat. 12’ boat, loop around the boat and it’s to short. 50’ will get you there, or 2-25’ hoses. I had a collapsable hose, junk. When you press the nozzle it wanted to shrink right down. I’m on city water pressure, if you have more pressure you may be ok. And don’t get cheap wallmart hoses. Don’t ask me why.

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Depends on where your outdoor faucet is. You will fond 25’ a bit short When walking around the boat. 12’ boat, loop around the boat and it’s to short. 50’ will get you there, or 2-25’ hoses. I had a collapsable hose, junk. When you press the nozzle it wanted to shrink right down. I’m on city water pressure, if you have more pressure you may be ok. And don’t get cheap wallmart hoses. Don’t ask me why.
I think you're right. I'll look for a lightweight regular 50' hose.
I'm guessing that a 1/2" ID regular hose will be fine (50 feet).

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I have had several expandable hoses and all have failed though the Silver Bullet lasted the longest.The bright green ones are throw away crap. 50 footer only.You will never complain about having too much hose but too short will get ya every time. Sears craftsman was the absolute best rubber hose and had a lifetime warranty.I think some stores still carry that brand since Sears is no more. Charlie

I've never used a hose at a boat launch, but have used a few of the expandable hoses. They work fine if you get a quality one. However, most of them say not to drag these across concrete or they will rupture. If you are careful by holding all of the slack you might be okay.

At the boat launches in Minnesota where there are invasive species issues, they provide a hose. I'm surprised that they are making boaters do it. It seems that most would not be bothered if they have to haul a hose with them.

Either way - kudos to you for doing your part.

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have had several expandable hoses and all have failed though the Silver Bullet lasted the longest.The bright green ones are throw away crap. 50 footer only.You will never complain about having too much hose but too short will get ya every time. Sears craftsman was the absolute best rubber hose and had a lifetime warranty.I think some stores still carry that brand since Sears is no more. Charlie
Will forget about getting an expandable hose. And will get a 50' non-expandable hose. Thanks.

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've never used a hose at a boat launch, but have used a few of the expandable hoses. They work fine if you get a quality one. However, most of them say not to drag these across concrete or they will rupture. If you are careful by holding all of the slack you might be okay.

At the boat launches in Minnesota where there are invasive species issues, they provide a hose. I'm surprised that they are making boaters do it. It seems that most would not be bothered if they have to haul a hose with them.

Either way - kudos to you for doing your part.
Live in Hawaii so the ocean is all around. So fortunately no invasive species issues here.

The main reasons I want to rinse our boat at the launch ramp are:
  • Rinsing the salt water off before it dries on the trip back home. Especially on the trailer. (I could also rinse the salt water off the trailer after launching before going boating, though my wife will have to get a LOT more experience handling the boat while I'm rinsing if I rinse after launching.)
  • There's a lot of space at the ramp to do the rinse safely. At home, I have to park on the street and stand in the street while rinsing the street side.
  • After rinsing at the ramp, the fresh water on the boat and trailer can dry off during the trip back home.
  • When I get home, I can directly back the trailer into our carport.
Yes, I do like to overthink things .... ;).

airshot

Rear Admiral
You might consider getting a hose cart that rolls up your hose, get one that fits into your vehicle. Can make the job less hassle than wrestling a 50' hose

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You might consider getting a hose cart that rolls up your hose, get one that fits into your vehicle. Can make the job less hassle than wrestling a 50' hose
Yes, a hose cart is something to consider. In fact, I saw one couple who had one, rinsing their boat at the ramp.

Currently, I'm thinking of buying a Flexzilla, 1/2" ID, 50' garden hose because it appears to be a very flexible lightweight hose. Coiling a flexible 1/2" lightweight hose might be easy and quick to do.

The one thing I don't like about that 1/2", 50' Flexzilla hose is that it "ONLY" comes with plastic quick disconnect fittings on both ends. The kit does include adapters to convert to 3/4" garden hose connectors on both ends but I don't think the "plastic" quick disconnect fittings will last long. Might be OK for only rinsing the boat & trailer on the occasional boating outings though.

https://www.amazon.com/Flexzilla-Connect-Attachments-Lightweight-Drinking/dp/B01MTAQKR1/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=flexzilla+50'+garden+hose&qid=1670280520&sr=8-7&th=1#

The Flexzilla 5/8" ID hose comes with standard 3/4" garden hose fittings but I'm reluctant to get that because of the extra weight of the hose and weight of the additional water in the larger ID hose. Can't fathom why Flexzilla went with non standard fittings on both ends of their 1/2" hose.

Thanks.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have two of these.
One is kept on the boat the other is our day to day hose. Does not retract using nozzle

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I have the flex Zilla air hoses, they work wonderfully. I'm leaning to the water hose this spring as I think it'll be a good one.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Buy a coiled garden hose. They expand to great lengths, yet spring back for easy storage. Very durable as well.

Whatever you do, DON'T ever buy an "expandable" hose. They are simply crap. A coiled will last many years, while you may be lucky to get weeks out of an expandable.

I fell for the lifetime guarantee. But you have to send the old one back and then pay a handling charge. The warrantied replacement was only $2 cheaper than a new one, plus you had to find a box, package the old one up, drive to the PO, etc. Currently, there is a class action lawsuit against the expandable manufacturers. I'm a claimant but I doubt I'll ever see a dime.

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
@dingbat: I have two of these.
One is kept on the boat the other is our day to day hose. Does not retract using nozzle

@Grub54891: I have the flex Zilla air hoses, they work wonderfully. I'm leaning to the water hose this spring as I think it'll be a good one.

@JimS123: Buy a coiled garden hose. They expand to great lengths, yet spring back for easy storage. Very durable as well.
Whatever you do, DON'T ever buy an "expandable" hose. They are simply crap. A coiled will last many years, while you may be lucky to get weeks out of an expandable.
I fell for the lifetime guarantee. But you have to send the old one back and then pay a handling charge. The warrantied replacement was only $2 cheaper than a new one, plus you had to find a box, package the old one up, drive to the PO, etc. Currently, there is a class action lawsuit against the expandable manufacturers. I'm a claimant but I doubt I'll ever see a dime.

Thanks guys for your input.

Have eliminated the expandable hose and not sure that I could get used to using a coiled hose. Also, not sure whether a 3/8" coiled hose will pass the amount of water I want. Since I live in Hawaii, return shipping of a hose that doesn't work for me will cost too much.

So I've decided to go with Grub54891's experience with the Flexzilla hose since it's more like a standard hose. Will get the 1/2", 50' Flexzilla hose and review it after I use it.

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I've decided to go with Grub54891's experience with the Flexzilla hose since it's more like a standard hose. Will get the 1/2", 50' Flexzilla hose and review it after I use it.
Received the 1/2", 50' Flexzilla hose. The dry hose weighs about 6 lbs and is very flexible. The hose itself has quick disconnect connectors on both ends. Included are 1 female adapter, 2 male adapters, 1 adjustable nozzle and 1 vinyl carrying strap.

Connected it to our pressure regulated (60 psi as I recall) outside water pipe. The quick disconnect connectors work well and don't leak. The included nozzle can be adjusted to a spray or a strong stream of water. The stream setting flows a lot of water and has more than enough water and is strong enough to rinse the salt water off of our boat and trailer. This 1/2" hose will do a fine job of rinsing our boat and trailer.

The only concern is that, with the female adapter on one end of the hose and the nozzle on the other end, not to lose the 2 male adapters. The vinyl carrying strap has 3 short slits in it so for now, I put the 2 male adapters in a small plastic bag and threaded the bag through the 3 slits. Looks like it will hold the plastic bag firmly and there's no chance of the bag coming off inadvertently.

So far so good.