Galvanic Isolator -needed or not?

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer
Hello, all: I've been refurbishing a 1986 SunRunner 220 SB. I'm in the midst of installing shore power so I can use a built-in battery charger, a microwave, etc. while at the dock. I'm basically reusing the eqipment I took out of my previous boat, which I scrapped two years ago. My research now shows me that a galvanic isolator should be installed between the shore power and the circuit board. I did not have one of these on my previous boat, and frankly, knew nothing about them. Has anyone had any experience with one of these? Any recommendations, pro or con? The boat is going to be docked in Moriches Bay, Long Island, NY, a salt-water bay. It have a Mercruiser 5.0 I/O with a pre-Alpha drive. Suggestions, comments, please. Thanks. Hy

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Galvanic Isolator -needed or not?

Galvanic isolators do what they're supposed to do, isolate your boat from any stray current in the marina's electrical supply. It's as much about protecting your boat as it is about preventing your boat from being the cluprit.

They're not too expensive and good insurance (IMHO). I think most new productions boats come with them as standard equip. It certainly wouldn't hurt (other than $50-$60) to put one in.