Gale 1959 SeaKing 5hp water impeller help

kbryant

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello
I have the lower unit undone and it drops down about an inch but I can not figure out how to get the shifter linkage undone. Can anyone help me with a YouTube or guidance how to finish this job. Any help would be so thankful. I've been trying to figure it out for 3 hours now.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Posting a picture would help.----But I say you have to remove the powerhead to undo 2 nuts at the top of the shift rod.----Actually quite easy.

kbryant

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Posting a picture would help.----But I say you have to remove the powerhead to undo 2 nuts at the top of the shift rod.----Actually quite easy.
Hello
This is how much of a rookie I am when it comes to outboards. What's the power head? I know probably a stupid question but not sure. Thank you for your time.

kbryant

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello
This is how much of a rookie I am when it comes to outboards. What's the power head? I know probably a stupid question but not sure. Thank you for your time.
Maybe this is too much for me, but I want to give it a try if anyone can help a little..

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If it is the motor built by Johson / Evinrude then about 7 screws need to be removed.----A few hoses,-----Then the engine block lifts off.----Not hard at all.

kbryant

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If it is the motor built by Johson / Evinrude then about 7 screws need to be removed.----A few hoses,-----Then the engine block lifts off.----Not hard at all.
I will give it a try and see . Going to work on it tonight. Wish me luck! Thank you for your time with a reply. Any help is appreciated

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have not seen pictures of this 5 HP Gale !---But It is not like the pictures of the 12 HP.----Find You Tube video of this job on a 5-1/2 HP Johnson / Evinrude up to 1965.-----Will show what needs to be done.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Procedure is similar to 1955 Johnson 5.5hp. Powerhead (think "engine") must be removed to access/disconnect the shift rod. Remove rear cover #28, then 7 screws holding powerhead on. Note some screws are longer than the rest. Disconnect any hoses/linkages as necessary. and lift powrerhead off. It separates at the gasket #24. It probably will be stuck to the gasket. You will need a new gasket. Remove the two nuts from top end of shift rod. It will be obvious when you get in there. With powerhead off, lower unit can be remover for access to the water pump.
Pg 5-6 Exhaust Housing and Bracket.jpg

kbryant

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Omg
Can thank everyone enough. Thank you. Going to tackle this baby tomorrow.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have not seen pictures of this 5 HP Gale !---But It is not like the pictures of the 12 HP.----Find You Tube video of this job on a 5-1/2 HP Johnson / Evinrude up to 1965.-----Will show what needs to be done.
I took this pic down and posted the 5 and something went wrong apparently

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Most dealers would have it in stock.---#277181 Johnson / Evinrude part or 0434424 is superceded #.