Galaxy 17ft stringer & floor

Peter1959628

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I wonder if there is anybody out there that has any pics or any stringer size/layout for a 17 ft bowrider circa 1976.<br />Also the floor has developed soft spots and i am curious on the cost of replacing it.

lcrayne

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Galaxy 17ft stringer & floor

I recently acquired a 17' 1976 Galaxy I/) open hull ski boat. Removed the rotted floor. Stringers were encased in glass and are good, so plan to replace the floor come spring and the weather warms up enough to work the materials. I posted topics with pictures on Nov 2 ((Boat Questions(not engine topics)) and Dec 1 (Project Boats and Backyard Boatbuilding) and received a lot of good info. So far I have $200 in marine ply and estimate I will need at least $200 of resin or epoxy. Not sure which I plan to use yet. Undecided about replacement foam also. Would like to put a second bilge pump below the floor to keep the area dry since so-called water tight compartments eventually leak. Spent $200 for new carpet and will need another $300 for new seats. So, I expect to spend at least $800 before the project is complete. My plan is detailed in the Nov 1 post. Let me know if you have any additional insights.

Peter1959628

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the reply!<br />I have an idea i will be pleasantly suprised when/if i lift the floor as for a hull of 197? looks to be very well constructed.<br />I can take some pics of mine if you need any ideas as the previous owner replaced a lot of the parts.<br />The steering is a Det mar 500 cable rack and needs replacing.<br />Other than the floor and a side panel that should be replaced will be good to go.<br />I have read that the epoxy resin is the better one to go with as poly is prone to pinholing/porous.<br />Dont know about that buta topic to read up on these dark winter nights.<br />Just wished i had a heated & lit area to work on it all.

jfc092

Seaman

Peter;<br />My 19 foot Galaxy also had the soft floor syndrome. Under the floor are 3 stringers running the lenth of the boat. One is dead center at the keel and the two are about 11 inches off of the center. All of the stringers were encased in fiberglass matting and were all good and solid.<br /><br />I added a drain into the bilde area since there was none and a couple bomar inspection hatches. I now I have extra storage space under the floor that I didn't have before.

lcrayne

Seaman Apprentice

Peter- My stringer layout seems very similar. I am leaning toward epoxy since opinions seem to indicate it is much stronger and more waterproof. As you can see from my pics, I left enough of the good old floor around the edges to have something to glue and screw the new floor to. Will need to use 3/4" spacers on the stringers since the new floor will be 3/4" higher. jfc092- What did you do about flotation foam. Looks like you didn't use any. I am undecided about putting foam below the new floor since it will just trap water. Anyone know why Galaxy used an untreated plywood form, which has totally disintegrated, to outline the engine well which is molded into the floor and sits above the hull. The bilge pump is in the engine well and any water that gets below the floor stays there. The front motor mount sits on the floor of the engine well supported be what looks like a 2X6 fiberglass cross member and is rock solid. I suspect the untreated plywood, encasing the engine well was used to form the engine well and was not intended for structural support. If it was they couldn't have expected it to last long.

jfc092

Seaman

Bourbon;<br />My 19 footer has a load of foam factory installed under the gunnels pretty much the lenth of the boat. There's also a load under the bow section seating area. <br />Under the floor there was a bunch of about 3 inch by 3 inch by 4 foot foam blocks just laying under the floor. Just about all of them were saturated with water. There were all removed and I went the inexpensive way for additional flotation. I used empty anti freez gallon jugs. They displace water, they float and they're cheap.<br />Under the front motor mounts there were 2 layers of 3/4 inch plywood under the engine well floor. The were soaked and rotted. <br /><br />I replaced with the same size plywood epoxied together and then epoxied in place to the roving. The engine mounts were then through bolted instead of lag bolted like the factory did.<br /><br />My project is still ongoing. I ripped out the carpet and plan on using Evercoat non-skid rubberized floor coating since this is a salt water boat and a fresh water wash down is a daily occurance when I use it. <br /><br />When not being used she sits on a trailer in the garage. Amazingly, after 26 years the gel coat still shines like she did when new. It pays to keep them covered.

Peter1959628

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Many thanks guys for the replies.<br />I hope that the newer boats are as well built as these seem to been constructed.I am impressed with the way the motor/bilge area had been glassed in.<br />I feel like ripping the floor up and replacing before i sell for peace of mind but rather hesitant,mainly because of the extra expense.<br />Its a case of making a start.<br />Love the idea of making storage in the floor.<br />Jcf you mention some bomar inspection hatches.<br />What do they look like ?<br />If you know where the water is at least you can deal with it rather than oh lets seal it up untill the next owner comes to do the floor or worse!<br />Love the idea of making storage in the floor.<br />Another idea i have thought of for the bilge area,mainly in the fore section, or rather to keep it dry is to install some form of one way valve so once the water puddles rearward it stays there allowing a bilge pump to extract the water.<br /><br />Having just purchased a newer boat thought that this would be an idea. I had to park the rear end higher and water i drained from the block promptly went forward just a simple flap valve could have prevented this! so could have putting a container under.<br />I just wish i could keep them both but room does not permit.<br />Having very tolerant neighbours is a nice luxury to have as both are covered with tarps at present and i do not want to be labelled up as a "junk yard"

CTD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bourbon if you raise the floor 3/4 inch and you have a bowrider that has a floor that sits on your new floor it will hold the deck 3/4 inch higher. did I say that right?

lcrayne

Seaman Apprentice

I believe so. Only thing I can think to do is notch the new floor around the step for the bow deck, slide new wood between the deck and and middle stringer and glue and screw everything together. Everything would then be solid, but the step would be 3/4" lower than the floor. May have to live with it or put a 3/4" plate on the step and carpet over it. See pics 3 and 4 at http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lcrayne/my_photos The good part of the floor that is left is solidly glassed to the hull. Would be an horrendous amount of work to remove and seems a shame not to use for additional support, paticularly around the engine well. This is my first boat project so any good ideas will be appreciated.

jfc092

Seaman

Peter;<br />A Bomar hatch is a better quality hatch made of a synthetic type plastic that won't rust or dent. They make several different types of hatches. (Inspection, Access and Window)<br />You can check out some by going to E-Bay's website and typing Bomar Hatch in the search area. Tempress is another manufacturer of hatches that are decent quality.

Peter1959628

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ideal and a pretty good price<br />Many thanks for the tip