G3 1610 prep charges?

PJBR

Recruit
Greetings All!

Looing at a new 2022 1610 SS G3 Yamaha with 50 HP. Boat is loaded. Dealer is adding another $3900 for prep. I am told that the reason is that boat arrives with no cables, engine to be installed, batteries, trolling motor, all the trimmings.

Any thoughts on the prep charge?

Thanks,

PJ

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Marketing 101 these days.------Offer a product at a low price and then add on some " fees " I think.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, welcome aboard

next, you can negotiate the price on the package. there are manufacturer incentives to sell old inventory, since the 2024's are coming out, the 2022 is almost 2 years old.

and yes, many boats under 25 feet are dealer rigged because they are manufactured like they come from IKEA - hull comes on a trailer, trailers come on a trailer, motors come in crates, etc. so there will always be a dealer prep fee.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Marketing 101 these days.------Offer a product at a low price and then add on some " fees " I think.
Primarily a reaction to customers requesting detailed cost break downs of time and material in an effort to nickel and dime you for a better price.

You offer an attractive base price then option all the "value added" materials and Services separately. Typically at a higher margin to give you the ability to offer "discounts" to appease the client.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Primarily a response to customers requesting detailed cost break downs of time and material in an effort to nickel and dime you for a better price.

You offer an attractive base price then option all the "value added" materials and Services separately. Typically at a higher margin to give you the ability to offer "discounts" to appease the client.