FUTURE of TWIN Gas / diesel engines in boat , who can afford fill ups

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took advantage of hot boat market ,
Sold our 30 ft gas guzzler 1 - 1/2 gallon fuel burn a mile , twin engine cabin cruiser.

Figuring in a few months I will have my choice , Newbie owners will be eager too sell , never realizing the cost & work of yacht ownership .

Retired couple ,
I was considering a motor yacht , for local crusing , perfect for two of us & dogs Our water condo ,
Having a long history with my marina I was assured a slip on next boat
I cried at gas dock at those $500 fuel fill ups , Gas / diesel is expected too double
who can afford crusing with a big block engines
Boats will sit at dock ,
Will not get political , gas/ diesel fuel in some areas is $ 5.00 bucks a gallon
Now pipe lines are being closed ,
Boat is a, LUXURY ,
Average families cant afford a day out on the water ,
Unless your a sail boater , even then they need fuel
I did consider sail just too be on the water but physicaly and age ( 74 ) might not be the smart move ,
Years ago purchased 15 ft fishing kayak , In the past I was torn go too boat ( costing mone sitting therer ) or go kayaking
Now no decision , Kayak is only option other then fishing pier too be near water .
I got too tell you , I am having a blast going into skinny waters fishing , no loud engines ,no noise , Have a little elec trolling motor , gets me too fishing grounds ,
As a sesoned boater searching for next boat , I am concerned about the boating industry and future ,

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
The cost of energy/fuel is affecting everyone adversely. Here in California regular gas is $4.60/gal and up. If you buy gas on the water at a marina you are looking at $7.00 a gal and up. Both the boating and the RV industry are feeling the effects of sky high fuel. I predict both industries are going to suffer major sales reductions and major economic crisis.
I remember many years ago when I had powerful ski boats it would cost me about $100 a day for truck fuel to get me there and boat fuel to ski all day. Now a days with the cost of fuel it would cost me $300 to $500 a day Or more. Imagine what it costs RVers who get 3 or 4 miles per gallon towing huge trailers or driving motor homes. The cost of fuel is stopping many people from buying boats and RV’s.

alldodge

Staff member
Gas will be back down around this time next year, just supply and demand

Boats, planes have always been a think most cannot afford. Read in this sight how many questions come up about how to get better fuel economy

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Lol. The same people that could afford twin engine 35' cruisers 6 months ago will be able to afford gas today. The gas is a small fraction of boat ownership for most.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
About 15 years ago I stopped at a marina for fuel.----Diesel for the 38' sailboat I was delivering was $35.----A 43' powerboat pulled in for fuel.----Nearly $700 for them.----One of the crew was not steady on his feet after a day on the water.------Talked to the owner and he said.-----" We keep track of expenses every summer ".---Fuel , insurance , lift in , lift out, storage , maintenance. He also mentioned that highest expense on the list for the season was ALCOHOL , boats seem to need /use a lot of that stuff. ,

mr 88

Commander
Lol. The same people that could afford twin engine 35' cruisers 6 months ago will be able to afford gas today. The gas is a small fraction of boat ownership for most.
Exactly, winter ,summer storage on a 30' will run you around 4,000 + - depending on location , insurance another 1,000. Annual upkeep 1,500 and this applies to sailboats as well. Now if you went through 600 gallons it's going to cost you 6 -900 more with street prices in the 3.50 - 3.75 range. I do not see most people in the NE burning that amount of fuel , the harbor I am at consists of blowboats and cruisers that rarely leave the slips. If it wasn't for fishermen and chartering the gas sales would be almost non existent . Kayaks are not in the same league as a 30' boat for all the obvious reasons. Knock yourself out saving your pennies sitting in and on the water with no possibility of standing up , stretching out ,walking around, some friend's on board and a refrigerator/ cooler , dry clothes , head , hot water, radios , radar and on and on. I will put some extra money away this winter for gas . After I put her in I will drop the throttle lever to the WOT position and think of you !!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Heard on the marine radio 15 years ago , same trip I think.------" Joe I found some gas at $1.10 / liter.-------You know for the last 3 weeks we haven't needed 2 motel rooms each night.---This boating is affordable "

shrew

Lieutenant
What are we really talking about here? The difference of a $1.00/gal.? $2/gal.? How much fuel do you burn in a year? Even if you went through 1,000 gallons a summer, you're saying $4,000 is ok, but $5,000 or $6000 is just too much??

If my boating budget can't handle a 1-2K hit, then I can't afford to boat. What happens when you have several thousand in repairs?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I worked on a yacht that spends $150,000 a day in fuel

the engines burn 13.6 gallons of jet A a second at WOT

then again, they were on engines # 39, 40, and 41 at the time

fuel is the cheap part

most people boat only 20 hours per year.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Who can afford the fill ups?

The same people that could afford it in 2008, 2012, 2013, 2014..... when the average US gas price was over $4 a gallon.

Me.
One of my boats has siblings, not twins, a 115 and a 9.9
The other one has twin 40's. :)

briangcc

Commander
I doubt there's going to be a serious downturn in boating. For me, my boat is a trailer queen so I fill it up on land before I launch. Save $0.50/gallon over filling up on the water. Easy, peasy.

Now there may be a shift in what people do with their boats...say away from watersports (ski/kneeboard/tube/etc) and towards going out and anchoring for a day....or egads...go fishing.

Unless some of these shortages ease, you may have a difficult time finding a decent boat to purchase at start of season. Demand is outstripping supply.

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ALL of the above true,
Fuel is the smallest part of the cost , I must have poured 40 thousand into that boat during 7 years , maybe crazy selling , just got tired , not fun anymore , Boat sat , Would take it out ofen too go nowhere. .
Inlet 16 miles ,
Having a yacht at marina becomes a way of life ,
Socialize with other boaters
Marina 500 slips ,, Live a boards, Snow Birds ,
Owners with 28 - 30 ft weekenders are the ones that use their boats complaining about the cost of fuel
Other day received Email from marina ,
NOTICE - boaters are not allowed too carry gas cans too fill their boats , Must go too gas docks
TOO the GUY that wants too swamp me in my yak , Have Outriggers
A change of pace , fun for now ,
Fishing in areas I could never go with a boat ,
Not having a boat Kayak is my only option , getting excersise , fine for now until my next boat comes along. Waiting for the wave of newbie owners too sell
I'm leaning towards early 2000's motor yacht , Carver , Silverton
Trawlers are frugal on fuel burn but wife wont like dark teak on the older models .
C YA

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Local marina also has the sign " no fueling from jerry cans allowed" at the ramp.----Now some would accuse the marina of wanting to scam folks with high price of fuel.-----In fact it might have to to with insurance , gasoline handling act.---Fueling a boat is not the same as topping up the pickup in town.---Environmental concerns and fuel leaking on the surface around boats is scary.

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Local marina also has the sign " no fueling from jerry cans allowed" at the ramp.----Now some would accuse the marina of wanting to scam folks with high price of fuel.-----In fact it might have to to with insurance , gasoline handling act.---Fueling a boat is not the same as topping up the pickup in town.---Environmental concerns and fuel leaking on the surface around boats is scary.
Filling a boat with Jerry Can , Common sense , Not safe- Dont DO IT .
COMMON SENSE ? what's that

Scott Danforth

Staff member
regarding jerry can fueling - its insurance liability. a Marina with a fuel dock has huge insurance policy that nearly doubles in price if there is an issue

plus most fuel docks will suck out the honey tank if you buy fuel.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Gas isn't THAT bad. It is on par or less than inflation adjusted peaks in 2008 and 2012. And no one was forecasting the end of boating then.

It's all relative, as others have mentioned gas is often the cheaper part of boating.

stormyj

Seaman Apprentice
Me and a buddy discussed this one day. Lets see, fill up the boat, $100. Pack some meat for the grill on the beach, put some beers, water, drinks for the kids. Gather a few friends and head out to our favorite beach. Hang out all day playing games, swimming, getting a sunburn, listening to music, making memories. Hell, it costs me that much to go out to dinner and have a steak and a few beers. Pretty good day for $100.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Agreed.-----Ignore the food and liquids.-------You have to eat whether you have great scenery or not.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I put 40 gallons in the boat nearly every trip.

we spend about $20 on ice, $40 on drinks, about $100-$120 at a restaurant,

the fuel is the cheap part

for all else.....visa.......priceless