Fuse/circuit breaker

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander
So I just realized, my engine has no fuse/circuit breaker. It's a 71' 707HD 70 Hp chrysler..
Is there something I'm missing or could the PO have removed it? do I have to fuse it myself somewhere?
nothing in the battery cable... nothing under the cowling.. am I missing somehting? or making some dumb mistake?:facepalm:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuse/circuit breaker

The engine came stock without a fuse. There should be a tin can circuit breaker (or possibly a black plastic one) below the terminal board on the board mounting plate on the engine. The tin can does NOT have a reset button. It resets itself when it cools down after popping open due to overload.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

What does that look like? The only black plastic thing that I see, is, I believe the solenoid, directly underneath the starter? Where is the board mounting plate? I've never heard the term before..

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

On the engine joining flanges with the 3/8 head, 1/4 X 20 bolts (6 per cylinder): On the starter side behind the starter is a bent aluminum plate about 8 inches long, held with (usually) three of the flange bolts. Screwed to this is the black bakelite terminal board to which all the engine wiring is connected. Directly below this board is (again, for that year, usually) a 1 inch by 2 inch silver can. There will be two terminals and three red wires connected to it.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Oh that's the terminal mounting board... where all the wires terminate... duh, I should have known that ;) Yep, there's a little silver piece! Thanks, Frank!