Furler or Downhaul System - ?

Woodbinekeith

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If you had the opportunity to order a new head sail - would you choose to go with the furling system or set it up for a down haul? Sailing on a reservoir where winds can change in both intensity and direction rather quickly. Sailing a 17' Siren with a small 2" furler that looks pretty small for 54 ft sq head sail. Presently the new sail has a cable and is set up for a furler. Is it reasonable to install grommets and have a "dual purpose" set up?

captmick39

Cadet
Re: Furler or Downhaul System - ?

I'd add a beef-ier roller furler and new headstay while You're at it. a 110% genoa is nice because as your winds change You're not spending all Your timeon the bow swapping sails. Tail all lines to the cockpit and You'll have enjoyable single-handed sailing. Direction shouldn't be an issue w/o an inner forestay, and that's not an issue on a 17'er. Reducing sail area quickly, with 'intensity' IS, and easily accomplished with a respectable R/F system.
Sailing is supposed to be more fun than work, and swapping sails, or even 'dual purpose' usually means more w-o-r-k.
That's my opinion, I'm sure there are plenty of folks who'd disagree;
-mick