Fun with Dogs

NYMINUTE

Captain
If you think your pooch can't count, try this.<br />Put 4 cookies in your pocket while the dog is watching (or drooling like my Chocolate Lab). Give the dog 3, one at a time. Then stop the freebies. If the dog doesn't follow you, then he can't count. Mine won't go away until she gets the forth one.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fun with Dogs

I dunno about counting, but I do know some dawgs can tell the difference between an unopened can of chicken, and an unopened can of beets.<br />And I heard "dogs don't feel emotion". Yet, my dawg smiles and sulks, clear as day.<br />She also has a sense of humor that would take two pages to explain. :)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

My dog can tell the difference from a Wally mart shopping bag from any other shopping bag. That is where he gets his pig ears from. Even if the wife comes back without the ears, he tries to get the wally mart bag anyway. :D

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

my dog is the same way SS!! If we walk in with a blue bag, the dog goes crazy thinking she's gonna get a bone, any other bag and she couldn't care less. And dogs most definitely have emotions, that tail doesn't wag when you walk in the door for nothing!

Dogs are smarter than heck, you just have to spend the time with them to figure them out. My black lab communicates with my wife and I a TON. When she wants something she comes over to us and just stares at us, sitting down. If you aren't paying attention she'll nudge you persistantly with her nose. And then we start asking her questions like:<br /><br />- Do you need to go to the toilette?<br />- Are you thristy?<br />- Ready for bed?<br />- Want to go for a walk?<br />- Want to have your ears cleaned? (she gets ear infections and tells us when they are bothering her)<br />- Do you want to play?<br />- You hungry?<br /><br />We always leave "hungry" til the end because she'll react to that one no matter what she really wants. But if she wants one of the others she'll jump up fast and get really excited...<br /><br />She can also identify about a dozen of her toys. If you ask her to fetch her phone, she'll bring you back her toy phone. If you ask her to fetch her squirel, she'll bring back the squirel. Its great to watch her search the house and her toy basket for the one you asked for. Labs love the searching games, keeps their minds active.<br /><br />And yes NYMINUTE, they can definately count. She knows how many cups of food she gets, and she wont even start eating until the last one hits her bowl. Occassionally I'll start walking away shorting her one cup and she'll chase me down and jump on me.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I think anyone who has had a dog they loved for very long at all could tell you dogs most definitely have feelings and emotions. My dogs have always displayed emotions, even emotions like guilt and regret. My original was a real sweetheart, and she would get all upset if she stepped on my toe (I had a terrible ingrown toenail) and hurt me. My dogs are my kids, and they are like human children in so many ways!<br /><br /><br />-dd-

NYMINUTE

Captain

I have a C-Lab and Great Dane, both females. The dane has the mentality of the Lab, The lab was a year old when the Dane puppy came on. Nothing is more entertaining than watching the dane chase and catch a frisbee. Looks like a horse playing tennis. She learned from the Lab. Yes they are our kids now, as the real ones are on their own. I love the sound of that.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I think it's funny to see different personalities in dogs.<br /><br />My father breeds English Pointers for hunting. His first was "Kate". Kate is all business. She's not much for playing or attention, but get her in the field and she shines.<br /><br />From Kate's first litter, my father kept "Maggie". Maggie is good at hunting, but she also likes to play, and craves attention. If you sit down anywhere, Maggie will try to climb on your lap.<br /><br />One day, my father and step-mother are discussing sweaters for the dogs. No way, no how. <br /><br />He says "If I put something that ugly on Kate, I'm sure she would disown me."<br /><br />"Well, what about Maggie?"<br /><br />"Maggie? Oh, Maggie would go show it off."

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by 12Footer:<br /> I dunno about counting, but I do know some dawgs can tell the difference between an unopened can of chicken, and an unopened can of beets.<br />And I heard "dogs don't feel emotion". Yet, my dawg smiles and sulks, clear as day.<br />She also has a sense of humor that would take two pages to explain. :)
The whole key to this is the word "she"...sounds like my wife, smiles and sulks...at times she can do both simultaneously;-)