Fun and cheapo mod.

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class
We bought a new Tracker Party Barge this year. The Bimini covered most of the rear half of the 18', and they wanted almost $600 for the front top. Yikes!

Soooo, I found a 9' Patio umbrella on the net for $30.00, brand new and the same color blue as mBiminini. The pole is just under 1 1/8 inches in diameter. Bought a 3' section of of 1 1/4 PVC and a cap. Drilled (hole saw) a 1 5/8 hole in the deck, 4 1/2 feet from the front fence and dead center left to right. PVC through the hole, cap on the bottom. Two pieces of 2 pieces of 2" wide aluminum plate bolted to the bottom (cap) of the PVC and to a rafter. Umbrella mast fits into the PVC holding the umbrella up, like a floor stand. All sawed wood was treated with silicone sealer, the PVC is flush to the floor, and I have a small chrome grate covering the hole. Also drilled a hole through the cap for a water drain.

Now, you are asking for pictures. YES, I took some. The camera is sitting on the couch in the front of the boat in the garage in Bullhead City, Arizona. Probably be next year (Ah, come on, that is only 4 weeks away) before we go back down there. Can hardly wait to put her in the water and see how the umbrella works.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Fun and cheapo mod.

It should work fine. After the heat this last summer I am doing a lot of thinking on adding a hard top to mine and moving my Bimini forward so when needed I can shade all of the deck.

XJ99

Seaman Apprentice

Is there anything that holds the umbrella in the hole once mounted?
Unlike a table, any wind will pick it up and carry it away.

<----- Learned the hard way. :facepalm:

Not on a pontoon, but on our last Livingston. Had shade for about
20 minutes, then the umbrella took off straight up! On the way down
it flipped over, (pole side up) and when I tried to retrieve it I couldn't
pull it back out due to the resistance of the lake!

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

It should work fine. After the heat this last summer I am doing a lot of thinking on adding a hard top to mine and moving my Bimini forward so when needed I can shade all of the deck.

I love my hardtop with the canvas top over the front section, If I want the sun I keep the front wraped up, if it gets to hot I cover the entire deck. I think I am going to mount my 2 front fishing chairs all the way up front on the swim deck , see how that works for me.