Full bilge = Engine Issues?

Bliner175

Cadet
Hi Everyone,

After a weeks worth of heavy rain, I was finally able to get the boat out yesterday -- 2010 Bayliner 175. I keep it in a slip, using the factory 2 piece cover.

I arrived yesterday to find the bilge nearly full of water...Could have been much, much worse but I pumped it out and all seemed in order. She started right up and we took her for a short trip.

I gave it full throttle to get up on plane but wasn't getting the RPM - only about 2700 at WOT. I was able to trim accordingly, get up on plane and then the RPM's went back to normal....tried it a few times with the same issues...much less power trying to get on plane and normal once up. I was getting nervous and the clouds were rolling back in, so tied up, covered and left.

So questions:
- Could the full bilge have caused an issue with the engine? I immediately looked and confirmed that the water was NOT covering any part of the engine.
- Is it normal for the factory cover to let in this much water? We did get 2-3 inches of rain, but that seems excessive.

And yes - already purchased and will be installing the automatic float switch.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Re: Full bilge = Engine Issues?

I'd pull the distributor cap and check for condensation.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Did you actually pull the dip stick and see if the engine was over-full. The engine does not have to be completely submerged to have water in the oil.

Bliner175

Cadet

I did not - first thing I did after noticing the full bilge was open the engine compartment - water was a few inches below the base of the engine block so I didn't think it was necessary.

I'll add that to the list of things to check.

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class

not sure what type of cover you have, but would also make sure it has a pole in the middle supporting it so water runs off the sides. Also, if you're not sure i would call the dealer and ask about what the material is made out of and if its waterproof. If you installed it correctly, I would invest in a better mooring cover. that water is getting in there somehow.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Time to replace the starter too. You may want to pull the outdrive to see if water got into the bellows from the inside.

Bliner175

Cadet

Irlima - the cover is the standard, factory cover that came with the boat - it's brand new and does have the poles.

Bruceb58 - I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that and that I caught it early enough...starter was fine, and I'd rather not have to pull the outdrive...she's barely 3 weeks old!

nlain

Commander

The cover will let water in, there are holes cut around the bimini pole mounts, water will go in there, if the cover has the proper waterproof treatment it will repel the water and there will not be a lot to pass through the cover material itself, my factory consists of two pieces, bow cover, cockpit/mooring cover, a certain amount of water can get in where the two meet in front of the windshield and where the rear of the bow cover attaches just below the mooring cover, I also have an anchor locker on the bow that is not covered, water can enter there also. It does sound like you may still have a lot of water trapped in the hull some where, that makes the boat very heavy and hard to get on plane. I would think a boat that new would have good drains, should all be fiberglass so no wood to soak up water and the only water I would think would be in the center section of the hull from front to rear. If you have a ski locker in the center of the deck, open it see if water is standing there, the drain holes may be stopped up, you may need to get a clothes hanger and probe the drain holes to be sure they are open.

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My guess is that you still had a bunch of water in the bilge. Get that boat on an angle using the trim or throttle with the pump running. My guess is you'll still have a steady flow of water.

Time for an automatic bilge pump!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Bruceb58 - I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that and that I caught it early enough...starter was fine, and I'd rather not have to pull the outdrive...she's barely 3 weeks old!
Doesn't matter. If water got in there, its toast eventually. You definitley need to pull the drive if the water got high enough. Did it get as high as the crankshaft? You will be looking at a lot more money fixing u-joints gimbal bearing and possibly the drive itself if water got in there. Its your money so you have to take the gamble I guess.