fuel/water seperator question?

dartster2

Cadet
how often do you change/replace the filter on a fuel water seperator?....mine is new and i have no experience with this yet...please help...thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel/water seperator question?

Hi Dart<br />Depends on the quality of fuel you use, but I have no problem changing mine once a season at minimum. If you ever notice bad running or hard starting, it may be time to change it.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hey Dart.<br /><br />Rickdb is on track. I would change it out at least before the new season starts. I've known some guys that are heavy boaters and only change it out every other season. Consider carring a spare with you.

dartster2

Cadet

thanks guys for the help....i will change it today for the new season....started motor yesterday and fired right up!....good news i guess....it's a new engine....2002 yamaha ox66 200 saltwater series2.......should i replace with yamaha filter or a generic from boaters world or west marine? thanks for the help...i'm a rookie at this stuff.....

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Don't hurt ta' get quality stuff Dart. By the way, if you change it out, fill the new one with gas first before you install it. The fuel system will prime easier that way. Good Boating!!

blazed4x4

Seaman Apprentice

Just a little tip, Racor makes a fuel water sep filter with a clear bowl on the bottom. This way ya can actually see if ya have any water in your fuel system. Not only that but ya can drain water out right from the filter.