Fuel water separator and fuel filter on 3L

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You can buy a Racor filter with drain bowl for less than $30 that fits your existing filter head.

From that point, replacement filters are $22.

How much is an OE can filter these days?
I buy with other filters and stuff in general, but I don't recall much over 15? But, there are overwhelmed easily- I recall on the 7.3 diesel it would not start until you drained it. And with bowl you could see it, unless it was just full of water I guess. Really worth looking into and really surprised it has not been a conversation before.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Can’t use the clear bowl on an inboard only outboards but still can drain it without removing the filter. If you’re getting that much water the tank needs to be cleaned out & the cap & fuel fill checked for leaks.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Can’t use the clear bowl on an inboard only outboards but still can drain it without removing the filter. If you’re getting that much water the tank needs to be cleaned out & the cap & fuel fill checked for leaks.
Good point there. Is that for safety regs you guys have from US coastguard?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you have that much water, you have a water ingress issue with your fuel system

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If you have that much water, you have a water ingress issue with your fuel system
Not necessarily......E10 can hold approximately 0.5% water at 68F (.64 ounces in a gallon, or 12 ounces of water in a 20-gallon gas tank)

I hold 150 gallons of fuel. At 68 degrees, that is 3/4 gallon of water each time I fill up

IMG_2947.jpeg

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Not necessarily......E10 can hold approximately 0.5% water at 68F (.64 ounces in a gallon, or 12 ounces of water in a 20-gallon gas tank)

I hold 150 gallons of fuel. At 68 degrees, that is 3/4 gallon of water each time I fill up

View attachment 390361
Interesting...I'm in fl and don't see that temp unless it is dead of winter...how do higher Temps affect those numbers? 70 is a cool day here. I'm not sure how much I had...I pumped at least a half gallon of water and then said screw it and pumped it all out. I have a 100 gallon tanks, pumped out 70..

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Interesting...I'm in fl and don't see that temp unless it is dead of winter...how do higher Temps affect those numbers? 70 is a cool day here. I'm not sure how much I had...I pumped at least a half gallon of water and then said screw it and pumped it all out. I have a 100 gallon tanks, pumped out 70..
Most people don't understand the saturation point of E10 varies with the temperature of the fuel.

Fill up with 90F fuel and it cools to 80F at night, you're dumping water in the bottom of the tank.

Works the other way as well. Pump 60F fuel from an under ground tank into a tank of 90 F fuel and you instantly get water

I pumped a gallon of water out of mine. Added 25 gallons of 93 octane E10 and went fishing

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You might want to find a gasoline station without water in it's fuel. I have never had more than an oz of water in my water separator for my 63G fuel tank, at the end of the season. Try to stick with high volume gasoline stations, as they have the freshest fuel.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You might want to find a gasoline station without water in it's fuel. I have never had more than an oz of water in my water separator for my 63G fuel tank, at the end of the season. Try to stick with high volume gasoline stations, as they have the freshest fuel.
Wasn't fueling related.

The Earth, Sun and Moon aligned with a lingering TD (6" in 3 days) to fill the fuel fill recess in the gunnel with enough water to leak through the vents in the fill caps.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, in post 29 you complain about water in the fuel when you fill up. In post 33 you say the rain got into the tank. You have confused me.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
BUT....we still don't have an opinion one way or the other....is the more expensive Racor with the bowl, worth the $$$?
I'm going to keep using the standard filters I've used all the years I had this boat because I haven't had water related fuel system problems, but I know people for sure who have.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
IMO, the clear racor filters do not give sufficient extra value to justify the additional cost. Plus, I seem to remember one of the plastic bowls was ruined by the sun, and leaked fuel.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The issue with the clear plastic bowls is that they swelled from E10 gas and that caused leaks & some even fell off. They were redesigned and that’s no longer a problem. If someone leaves their boat in the water where moisture accumulates in the fuel they can hold a lot more water that the conventional ones. Even though my boat lives in the water I haven’t had that problem.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I leave my boat in the salt water from May to November, and never have more than a tablespoon of water in the separator when I winterize it. The tank is 63G.