Fuel water separator and fuel filter on 3L

banderberg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I put a fuel water separator on my 3L last year. I am about to winterize and was going to replace both the separator and the fuel filter, but that made me wonder, does the water separator also filter particulate like the fuel filter does? Would the separator extend the life of the fuel filter?

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
I put a fuel water separator on my 3L last year. I am about to winterize and was going to replace both the separator and the fuel filter, but that made me wonder, does the water separator also filter particulate like the fuel filter does? Would the separator extend the life of the fuel filter?

Thanks
Yes for both. The separator is both a filter and water separator. Unless you got into a place that had water in the gas or your some other way of getting water in the tank, there is most likely no water in the separator.

alldodge

Staff member
^^^^ Merc says for SeaPro or Verado 3 years or 300 hours

Mercruiser still list every 1 year or 100 hours

My I/O was every 3 years (fresh water inland) but I also knew my gas supply source. If I was on the coast in all the humidity I would do it more often

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was kind of surprised with recent fuel problems with water, how little the separator stopped. There was also a concerning amount of garbage in the fuel- both making it into the fuel rail. I will for sure change every year and probably less hours if I get busy boating.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Everyone might not agree but I have heard from some mechanics that the only “true” water separating filter is the Racor. They do cost a LOT more but if you’ve had a water problem it might well be worth it esp with EFI.

rickasbury

Everyone might not agree but I have heard from some mechanics that the only “true” water separating filter is the Racor. They do cost a LOT more but if you’ve had a water problem it might well be worth it esp with EFI.
I have heard of those- in commercial trucks...also drainage? It was the real deal..for diesel..wonder if they do boats. Will have to look..

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
They absolutely do make them for boats; they make them in sizes to fit the Mercury, OMC or Volvo filter mount. The only thing is that it has to be the one that is UL certified for inboard engine compartments, with the metal bowl instead of the plastic bowl. The filter element (the bowl is re-usable) is about $35 the last time I checked. Only rub with these is the bowl is a pain to get off when changing the filter, they make some kind of special wrench to make it easier.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You realize that water separators work by gravity, right? Fuel and water goes in the top of the separator, and the water settles to the bottom, as fuel is drawn from the top of the separator. The filter element does nothing to separate the water from the fuel.

A water separator with no filter element would separate water just as well.

Unless Racor water separators are able to alter the effects of gravity, they are no more effective than any other water separator. They can be easier to drain the water off, as some have plastic reservoirs on the bottom. Of course, you have one or two more places for leaks to occur. I would have hoped your mechanic would know this.

Oil filter-like water separators are pretty cheap, compared to the Racor ones.

If you are worried about water in the tank, remove the water separator periodically and dump it into a clear container, as see what water is has in it. use some 2 cycle oil to color the gasoline, so the water stands out, if necessary.

It is a good idea to fill the water separators with fuel before installation, as they can be hard to fill with a primer bulb.

rickasbury

You realize that water separators work by gravity, right? Fuel and water goes in the top of the separator, and the water settles to the bottom, as fuel is drawn from the top of the separator. The filter element does nothing to separate the water from the fuel.

A water separator with no filter element would separate water just as well.

Unless Racor water separators are able to alter the effects of gravity, they are no more effective than any other water separator. They can be easier to drain the water off, as some have plastic reservoirs on the bottom. Of course, you have one or two more places for leaks to occur. I would have hoped your mechanic would know this.

Oil filter-like water separators are pretty cheap, compared to the Racor ones.

If you are worried about water in the tank, remove the water separator periodically and dump it into a clear container, as see what water is has in it. use some 2 cycle oil to color the gasoline, so the water stands out, if necessary.

It is a good idea to fill the water separators with fuel before installation, as they can be hard to fill with a primer bulb.
Hey Chris, I recall you were in the sub business? Hope all is well and thanks for your service!
That makes a lot of sense for what I experienced. I think my tank must have had enough water that it completely filled the filter so the water went right into the fuel rail/motor. I recall seeing the raycor I think on the old 7.3 diesel...you had a sensor on the dash and could drain the separator with a valve- if you have an "abnormal " amount of water in the tank it's not going to work- drop tank or pump it out time.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you have a lot of water in the fuel tank and the boat is trailered, you can usually pull the fuel gauge sender and stick one of those "shake-shake" Siphons in it. Put a piece of 1/2" copper on the free end of the siphon hose and stick it thru the garboard drain hole. Now use a funnel and some Jerry Cans under the garboard drain and siphon the fuel from the bottom of the tank into the Jerry Cans.

You should be able to let the fuel settle and then pour off the fuel leaving the water on the bottom of the jerry can. The fuel is usually still good, unless contaminated by rust or other bad stuff.

Gasoline is hugely explosive so if you don't use a hand siphon, be sure to use a real gasoline-rated fuel pump, for safety reasons.

rickasbury

If you have a lot of water in the fuel tank and the boat is trailered, you can usually pull the fuel gauge sender and stick one of those "shake-shake" Siphons in it. Put a piece of 1/2" copper on the free end of the siphon hose and stick it thru the garboard drain hole. Now use a funnel and some Jerry Cans under the garboard drain and siphon the fuel from the bottom of the tank into the Jerry Cans.

You should be able to let the fuel settle and then pour off the fuel leaving the water on the bottom of the jerry can. The fuel is usually still good, unless contaminated by rust or other bad stuff.

Gasoline is hugely explosive so if you don't use a hand siphon, be sure to use a real gasoline-rated fuel pump, for safety reasons.
I used an electric fuel pump for a car- pumped out 75 gallons. That hurt.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I have heard of those- in commercial trucks...also drainage? It was the real deal..for diesel..wonder if they do boats. Will have to look..
They do. There is even a mercury part number for the racor water separating filter. Apart from that…I’m certain further on it…just because I have one fitted 😂. It even has the option to plug in and connect to the alarm system on smart craft monitoring…or an alarm in general. Great bit of kit.
As for the filter labelled as water separating (the very general common fitted type with no bowl)…they can absorb and deal with the mildest of water content…just…but anything more than a thimble…they are saturated and rendered useless.

Attachments

• IMG_3106.png
    IMG_3106.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You can buy a Racor filter with drain bowl for less than $30 that fits your existing filter head.

From that point, replacement filters are $22.

How much is an OE can filter these days?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The cheaper aftermarket water separator can-type are less than $10. OE are more in the $25 range.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Got one of these style filters on my OB. I love being able to drain the bowl and see what's in there. Also allows me to fill the bowl, --> drain --> repeat until clear. Wasn't aware of an I/o application (because of the plastic), I might look for a conversion kit next year.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep they have always had the metal bowl for the inboards.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Got one of these style filters on my OB. I love being able to drain the bowl and see what's in there. Also allows me to fill the bowl, --> drain --> repeat until clear. Wasn't aware of an I/o application (because of the plastic), I might look for a conversion kit next year.
if you want it all you need is the complete Racor for inboards that fits the Mercruiser filter head.
they are a pain to take apart, but they can hold a lot more water than the standard style ones.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Whenever I dump my filters I have never seen water probably because all we can get is E10 fuel, so whatever water is present is passing through with the fuel and not enough to cause phase separation. I've used both Sierra and Evinrude/BRP standard filters with no problems over the years. However, if you are using straight gas and have a water in the fuel issue, it could be worth the extra cost/trouble....especially if you have an EFI engine with those expensive fuel pumps and fuel injectors.

Attachments

• gas from boat .JPG
    gas from boat .JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • gas from boat 2021 season.jpg
    gas from boat 2021 season.jpg
    837.6 KB · Views: 7

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The last time I checked the price of a Racor for my filter mount (OMC) they were about $35, the Sierra ones are about $10 each, and the BRP ones are about $30, only a bit cheaper than the Racor.
The Racor full kit filter + Bowl for the OMC mount is $73 currently.