Fuel/Water Filter Advice for 200 HP

bigboat606

Seaman
I have a 200 HP 1987 Evinrude with carburetors of course that I run with premix fuel. I need to put a fuel/water separator filter on the fuel system but am unsure of which type. I am unsure how to match my engines fuel flow with the filter type since I am unsure of the fuel flow rate. Does anyone know the fuel flow rate of this engine? Also I've been told a 10 micron filter is best. Does anyone know which 10 micron filter would match my engines fuel flow rate? I would appreciate any other advice on this subject also.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel/Water Filter Advice for 200 HP

There are several brands that work well. The most popular one we sell has a composite head, no rusting or corroding. Yes, use a 10 micron filter. They make a filter with a glass bowl for easy visual checking and draining of any water. There is a new filter that is all clear, very neat for visual checking. The filter kit will have the head, filter and hose fittings.

brava41

Recruit

I had the same question and called Sierra's technical help and was told the 10 micron was recommended for injected motors with their higher fuel pressure but that the 26 micron was suggested for carburated motors.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

As far as flow rate, get a filter head that takes 3/8 NPT connections. That will be more than enough to keep the 200 hp motor feed and reduce restriction caused by the smaller 5/16" fittings on some economy heads.

I know the Moeller Marine Clear Site filters are rated 85 GPH flow at 3" of mercury. That is a huge flow, so even when full of dirt, it should still be able to supply all the gas the motor needs.

I think any name brand filter will have adequate flow.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The 10 micron filter is what's recommended by the OEs for carb'd, EFI and DFI 2 stroke. There are some 4 stroke motors that cannot tolerate any extra filter. We've installed filters on 2 strokes for years, no issues whatsoever. When your fuel lines start to fall apart a 26 micron will not stop the pieces. The pieces will get into the carbs, cause a restriction and possible piston damage.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

Your 200 hp will burn about 20 GPH at wide open, so you need to make sure you exceed that by a good margin. That said, I challenge you to find a filter that flows less than 60 GPH! :cool:. In other words, I've never heard of a filter that wont' have adequate flow for your engine.

Here's what I use with 1990 Johnson 200 hp and I used for my old 1982 235, the Racor B32014 unit with clear drainage bowl:
http://www.parker.com/portal/site/P...xtcatid=2703502&vgnextcat=MARINE+B32014&Wtky=

29175.JPG

This is a 60 GPH, 10 micron filter. Iboats sells similar filters by other manufacturers, and I'll bet your local boat shops do as well. This filter is about as expensive as they come (~$20 for a replacement cannister), but that's chump change for this basic protection, imho. I doubt if you'd save $10 by finding a cheaper version. If you do, just make sure it has similar flow and filtering specs and you'll be good.

I do strongly recommend (1) a unit with a drainage bowl like this and (2) one that has replacement filters easily available locally. All of my local boat shops carry Racor replacements so I'm good. (the replacement filter canister for this unit is S320014) Plus, I think that there is cross compatability with other brands -but I'm not sure of that. I always have one spare on hand and I haven't actually clogged a filter yet. I replace routinely every spring, but probably could get 2 years at least.