Fuel Vent

My 20 foot Pro-line CC has the fuel vent line right along side the fuel filler hose. There is a Perko fuel cap and I have a plastic key to tighten the cap with. I don't understand how to have the fuel tank vented when I'm underway. Would there be another vent? Am I supposed to leave the cap loose or something? I just got this boat and last week I had some problems with what seems like fuel starvation. I'm going to replace the fuel line and primer bulb and the water separating filter. I already replaced the fuel filter.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />David Rochford<br /><br />------------------<br />David Rochford<br />david@zesco.com

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fuel Vent

Hi, David.<br />The flange that the cap screws into has a vent underneath it. It's supposed to keep occasionall spillage when fueling, INSIDE the boat as opposed to into the water.<br />I have nothing against protecting the environment (MOF,I do that for a living).<br />I guess it is better to blow up a vessel here and there,along with it's occupants than poison the fishes. But I take that back, because I am only joking.<br />Anyhoo, this overflow doubles as a vent.<br />To check run a pressure test on the tank.It shouldn't hold any. Next, get a stick of gas-dri from West Marine or other marine supply house,and stick the tank(s),to see if they have water inside. This gas-dri works great,removing most non-petrolium fluids without having to remove the tank.<br />Don't leave the cap loose,unless it will not run. If performance improves with a loose cap, that overflow IS plugged.<br />It's a good idea to change the fuel line if it is stiffer than a new hose of the same material would be. This is why they make them outta that stuff (so we will know when it's degrading).<br />Has your water seperator revealed any water?<br />Just curoius (becuase of the tank issue).