Fuel turning orange!! Wont burn!!

Grice7

Cadet
I recently purchased this boat with an aluminum gas tank in it. I put some gas in it and immediately clogged my electric fuel pump. I think there was leftover gas that had turned to varnish. I removed the gas tank. replaced the fuel outlet hose, blew compressed air through my fuel pump and then proceeded to remove the premium fuel I wasted from the tank. It looked like a mixture of orange juice and tea. I made sure the tank was clean by flushing with water 4 times and then using acetone to clean anything left. I made sure everything was working fine before i put back in my boat, it was. once back in the boat I put another 15 gallons of premium in and ran the boat for about 5 minutes and it then died. Looking at my visible fuel filter I noticed the gas in orange again, not cloudy but orange nonetheless. The only hose i didnt replace is my fuel filler hose. could this be the problem or is it something with my aluminum tank? has anyone ever encountered a problem like this? what should i do?

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fuel turning orange!! Wont burn!!

Drain the fuel, remove the tank , put a couple of quarts of diesel in it , with a few handfulls of course sand , plug all of the ports,and shake the living hell out of it...the sand will remove residue from the walls of the tank....it's abrasive.Have some friends over and a case of beer , and while drinking , alternate friends shaking the tank around...lol... this is how we cleaned motorcycle tanks...lol... after awhile of this, drain tank of all sand and diesel...rinse with water and dish soap , then just with water...and let dry...

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like another case of "Ethanol cleaning the tank"

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I did not see "replace fuel filter" ??

superbenk

Commander

Drain the fuel, remove the tank , put a couple of quarts of diesel in it , with a few handfulls of course sand , plug all of the ports,and shake the living hell out of it...the sand will remove residue from the walls of the tank....it's abrasive.Have some friends over and a case of beer , and while drinking , alternate friends shaking the tank around...lol... this is how we cleaned motorcycle tanks...lol... after awhile of this, drain tank of all sand and diesel...rinse with water and dish soap , then just with water...and let dry...

Sounds like some kind of redneck party :D

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like some kind of redneck party :D

ahahaha ! ...it would be , if we didn't do this out on Long Island NY (when I was a kid)!!...lol... it's old school , but it works!!!!....

superbenk

Commander

dude , we live less than 10 miles from each other !

Hah! So we do! We should do some boating together one of these days. Where do you like to go? PM me sometime.

superbenk

Commander

ahahaha ! ...it would be , if we didn't do this out on Long Island NY (when I was a kid)!!...lol... it's old school , but it works!!!!....

I grew up in upstate NY where the real rednecks live & that sounded like a familiar party scene to me ;)

Anything with copious amounts of beer & fuel! :D

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Sounds like another case of "Ethanol cleaning the tank"

How do you figure that ethanol is responsible for the OP's varnished up, dirty tank? I know folks love to blame ethanol for every fuel, filtration and poor running issue, but isn't that stretching it a bit?

My .02

superbenk

Commander

How do you figure that ethanol is responsible for the OP's varnished up, dirty tank? I know folks love to blame ethanol for every fuel, filtration and poor running issue, but isn't that stretching it a bit?

My .02

I think what was being said is that his tank was varnished up previously using non-ethanol fuel & more recent fills with ethanol laced fuel is starting to break up the varnish in his tank. Ethanol does have cleaning properties:

http://boatingsailing.suite101.com/article.cfm/ethanol_fuel_problems_for_boaters

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I think what was being said is that his tank was varnished up previously using non-ethanol fuel & more recent fills with ethanol laced fuel is starting to break up the varnish in his tank. Ethanol does have cleaning properties:

http://boatingsailing.suite101.com/article.cfm/ethanol_fuel_problems_for_boaters

Gotcha- you're right, i misinterpreted.

I'll just point out that in most situations, a fuel with cleaning properties would be a good thing. Also, I'd imagine that adding Startron, Seafoam, or any number of fuel system 'cleaning' additives would have caused the same issue for the OP.

I'm not a fan of ethanol, and wish it wasn't there. But, it is there and has been for a long, long time. There are far too many issues that get lumped together and blamed on ethanol, when in fact the root cause is something else- in this case, a dirty tank.

superbenk

Commander

If you've loosened up a bunch of varnish and passed it into your engine, your carb could be all gummed up & in need of a rebuild.