Fuel Tank

toonin22

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Working on a wellcraft nova from 74 had gas in it from 1988. Could a fuel tank become bad over the years? Drained all the fuel out then I added new fuel, The filters in the carbs became extremely clogged with debris. Took a new fuel sample and the new fuel is orange in color. Just curious if it would be worth cleaning the old tank or if a new tank is in order. Had been running the engines on my test tank for fuel supply until yesterday.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Fuel Tank

Aluminum tank? If so, it is probably worth inspecting and pressure testing. Over that many years water could have easily collected both inside and out and made some pits/corrosion into the metal.

If it is plastic, then also, probably worth replacing.

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Orange gas sounds like rust to me. Or there was an additive that gave it that color? What does the stuff on the filter look like?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

If you can remove it take it to a radator shop to be cleaned, if you cant then a lot of flushing is in order.

NYBo

Admiral

Orange gas sounds like rust to me. Or there was an additive that gave it that color? What does the stuff on the filter look like?
Probably old varnished gas residue being dissolved by the new gas.

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My first hint of a fuel tank issue was two gallons of gas in the bilge. The smell was intense when I stepped aboard. My boat is a 78. I discovered Reinell practically designed it to hoard water in the fuel tank compartment where it couldn't be detected. $650 to have a new 65 gallon tank fabricated. Inspecting and testing a 74 sounds prudent.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

My first hint of a fuel tank issue was two gallons of gas in the bilge.

Based on the age of the boat I'll guess that the OP's tank is made of fiberglass or aluminum. At 38 years, either has seen better days. He needs to remove the tank to take care of the 'crud' problem anyway, so best to just replace it.

My .02

Thalasso

Commander

Figure on changeing all the fuel lines also. Probably dry rotted by now.

toonin22

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies. Its a plastic tank I believe. 108 gallons.......Should just replace it, sounds like a good idea to me dont want the boat coming back for fuel issues. Already replaced fuel lines new water seperator new filters in the carbs. Was running them out of a smaller tank that I have with good gas in it. At least it is easy to get to and not a problem to get out. Thank you again for your input it is always appreciated.