Fuel Tank repair?

rickryder

Commander
I want to get some feedback on repairing an aluminum under deck tank.
The tank on the inside is in perfect condition,super clean no corrosion.
The outside on the other hand has a bunch of small pock marks(galvanic corrosion) and a few pin holes.

I have repaired many car and motorcycle tanks with pour in tank sealers and JB Weld.
Do you think filling the pin holes with JB,Marine-Tex or a similar fuel resistant filler,then painting the outside of the tank with Gluvit or another aluminum sealer will save the tank?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Fuel Tank repair?

Do you think filling the pin holes with JB,Marine-Tex or a similar fuel resistant filler,then painting the outside of the tank with Gluvit or another aluminum sealer will save the tank?

Ayuh,... Probably Not...

A motorcycle or car tank leak is an inconvenience...

A leak in a boat tank can be Deadly...

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class

Part of me wonders if a competent welder could tig the leak, however the part that cocerns me the most is the corrosion and that the pin hole came from that. If you try and fix it, another one will come up and probably in short order leaving you with gas in the bilge and a serious fire hazard, on top of that you will be back to tearing the whole apart to replace the tank. Just replace it now and save the headache.

jonesg

Admiral

They usually chg $75 minimum for tig welds, then it would need steam cleaning to prevent it going boom. !! Just not worth the bother with all the used tanks I see.
I got an almost brand new 60 gal for $100, why bother.

rickryder

Commander

Well I found this product.... http://aluminumrepair.com/land/index.asp?src=google&gclid=CKzMudqhz6cCFUpN4AodKDJPCw

Aluminum welding rods that can be done with a propane torch.

Jonesg I have been looking on Craigs list in NJ NY and Pa with no luck on finding a 44 gal tank.

A new tank is way over budget......
I just don't get it.... Why won't an internal tank coating product like Kreem,Por 15 or any of the other proven products not an option?

Now isn't Gluvit an aluminum epoxy paint? It's used to fix leaks in aluminum boat seams and rivets? Doesn't it stop corrosion? Why wouldn't that be good to coat the outside of the tank to prevent further oxidation?
Even Marine -Tex states in their brochure for fuel tank repairs.....

I'm not trying to be stubborn just trying to understand why a repair can't be done.....

Bendie

Seaman

I'm pretty cheap, but these repair ideas sound like a bad idea. I have welded (TIG) lots of old parts, it is always harder that you would think. Do not think I could put any aluminum tank under the floor, and not worry about it.

rickryder

Commander

Thanks for the links Jonesg.... the only one that is a possibility is the 47 gal ( mine is a 44 gal) and the seller states it has corrosion on it.... It may be the same thing I'm dealing with now.. plus it's a 6 hour trip just to go there and back to look at it..... I can't put a smaller tank in the boat because the 350ci Merc will suck it dry in no time.

jonesg

Admiral

When I found my tank and called the guy was laughing, he said gee I JUST placed the ad. I said I'll be right there.
You have to wait and be ready to jump on it.