fuel tank removal

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok after running all last season on an above deck portable tank, I think its time to repair the under deck tank in my boat. its a 1981 chaparral 194 bow rider. as much as I hate to cut into my almost new (2 seasons) floor. I have a pretty good understanding of how to do it. pull carpet back and chalk off a section of deck just a few inches bigger than the tank. and remove all hoses/wires from tank and lift out of the floor. but I believe this tank is foamed in. how is the best way to get the tank out of the foam? and then to take the tank to a welding shop. but the part that is sketchy for me is re installing. heres my process this far, reinstall tank into the belly, put new bracing across top of tank (2x4) [Current set up] reinstall the cut out section and screw it down with countersunk screws. use fiberglass resin to go around perimeter of cut section come back and lay my fiberglass mesh and then another layer of resin. let glass cure re install carpet and hook up the hoses/wires back up and hit the water. anything I miss or any tips on this????

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: fuel tank removal

I did that on my 242, but being a newer design, it had a deck hatch to access the fuel tank. You should use pry bars and other tools to remove the foam from around the sides of the tank. Do not use any pry bars on the tank itself.

clear enough foam from one end of the tank and see if you can get it to pop out of the foam. If not, then use a nylon strap and some leverage to get the tank to separate from the foam.

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

so just chip away at the foam until the tank lifts out? should I remove all the foam in that tank area? how do I re-secure the tank back in place? should I re foam? any tips is appreciated

tpenfield

Staff member

here is a link to my web site and pages showing the fuel tank removal, etc. If you follow along it shows the installation of the new tank.

Removing the Fuel Tank

It took me the better part of 2 weeks to get the fuel tank out. Since you don't want to use tools and pry on it, I got enough of the foam out from underneath the ends of the tank that I could get a nylon strap under the tank and then lifted the strap with a scissor jack. It eventually broke the nylon strap, but then I finally got the tank to pop.

I would re-foam, because that is what the manufacture intended and designed the structure around the fact that the tank is foamed in. It adds a fair amount of strength to the boat. So, without the foam, the structure may be a bit more wobbley than with it.

4 lb/cubic foot . . . maybe 6 or 8 lb, if you want. If you re-paint your existing tank, etc, make sure to use epoxy paint and do proper surface prep to get a really good bond. The foam is supposed to stick tot he tank with a bond that is stronger than the foam itself. So, the paint has to be that strong of a bond as well.