Fuel Tank plumbing

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I bought my bought it had a had a truly Mickey Mouse Gas Tank set up. I was told that it originally came with two - 12 gallon fuel tanks. The Chrome fixtures are still mounted on the gunwales.<br /><br />Two Questions<br /><br />1) How much fuel do I need? This is a 16' 110 HP Mercruiser. I plan on mostly typical recreation and would like to have about 12 hours of fuel. The original 24 gallons is about 192 lbs when full, I was hoping to bring that weight down!<br /><br />2) How do I plumb these to my engine? Is it just a T connection and run solid lines? Is there a PORT/STARBOARD switch that I should use??

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Fuel Tank plumbing

1) How much fuel do I need?
How Far do you want to go??? How Fast do you want to get there ???<br />24gal.s Isn't alot of fuel.....<br />But, In your case, 12 May be enough....<br />It's entirely up to you........<br /><br />Plumbing goes from the tank pick-up to the check-valve, to a tank selector, to the fuel filter, to the fuel pump............... ;)

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

And, don't use any hard tubing in the main lines, only on the engine.Vibration will break hard tubing in time.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As a sort of rule of thumb you can consider that any carburated outboard engine will burn fuel at WOT at a rate equal to 10% of the rated horsepower. So you can figure your 110hp. engine will burn 11 gallons per hour if you go fast all the time and about three quarters of that if you just drive the boat sanely, figure 9 gallons per hour at cruise and 1 GPH at what I would call trolling speeds. Short story is you can never carry too much gas on a boat.<br /><br />As for the plumbing you simply run flexible gas line. I know there is some sort of fireproof Coast Guard rating but I've always used the stuff they sell at the auto parts store. You screw an anti-siphon valve into the tank and slide the hose over its end. The anti-siphon valve looks like an aluminum hose barb with a big ball inside. West Marine sells a 3-way valve just for the purpose of connecting two tanks into a single fuel line. Do not run a line from each of the tanks to a T-fitting in the hope that they will drain equally - - they will not do it. Anyway that valve costs about $25 as I recall. <br /><br />They also make a 4 way if you have 3 tanks, which is probably what you are going to end up with if you really want to cruise all day. <br /><br />We have 3 tanks using a 4-way valve. I like the setup. Our boat had an 80 gallon tank in it when we bought it. That severly limited our fishing time so I added a pair of 18 gallon side tanks. So now we can fish as long as we like and still come back home with a rational reserve. The weight of our tanks isn't enough to make a noticable effect on the ride of the boat, and we have tabs anyway, so it doesn't matter much if we run one side tank dry before going to the other. The truth is I try to alternate which tanks see use but given a choice I'll empth the main tank first just because it is farther aft and I like to get some of the weight off the rear end of the boat early in the day if I can.<br /><br />Oh, after you get to the 3-way valve I really would recommend that you install a Racor if you don't already have some sort of drainable filter/seperator. After that would come the sensor for a fuel flow meter if you have one and then on to the primer bulb and finally the engine. Don't run the hose in close proximity to any electrical wires. Support it just as you would an electrical cable though. I like to tie the hose down as frequently as possible so that it can't get tossed around. Just keep your eyes open and think about safety as you route the hose. You don't want it chaffing from vibration and you need to be thinking about that would happen if it leaked. Make sure nothing will crush it like a closing hatch. It happens. Be careful with the vents too. If you put in another tank let me suggest that you go straight to the anti-siphon black vents by Attwood. They are the only ones I've seen that I know won't ingest water (well, almost the only ones). Plan for long slooping curves in the hoses if you can for a new tank and make sure the hoses don't come in contact with protruding pointed ends of screws down deep inside the hull..<br /><br />Thom

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the great info, exactly what I needed! I have never heard that 10% rule of thumb before. I can't imagine a four banger burning through 11 gall. and hour!<br /><br />I think I will go original and hook up two 12 gall tanks and use the three way switch

Realgun

Commander

ThomWV I now have a round gas fill and a silver vent. The Vents hose went up from the tank then higher than the vent then back to the vent.<br />I purchased THIS on iBoats. Do you know if I have to make the loop? Also why don't the have a carbon filter like in cars to catch the fumes and then send the liquid gas back to the tank.

18rabbit

Captain

‘They’ do. A great little air/fuel filter critter made by Racor. The LG 50 is for gasoline, the LG 100 is for gasoline or diesel. Allows air in and out of the tank but catches fuel coming out and returns it to the tank. Btw, I would definitely loop the fuel tank vent line(s) about 12 inches above the vent, no question about it. I also would not consider any fuel line that is not stamped USCG certified for marine use...thinking about insurance, liability, that kind of thing.

Bondo

Staff member

Do you know if I have to make the loop?
Ayuh............<br />Without the loop, Splashed Water goes Directly to the Tank................... ;)

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't use one of those fillers with the incorporated vent. Obviously there is no way to run a loop above one of them but besides that I have had one of those plastic caps fail on me - unseen over a winter with lots of snow. I will not be having any more of them.<br /><br />The vents I use now do not require a loop either. They are made by Attwood but I may be replacing them before next spring. I don't know if any of you have seen Buddy Davis' new 28' CC but it is a pretty boat and has a set of recessed stainless steel vents that are pure works of the sculpter' art. You can see two of them right below the break in the shear line shown in the second photograph below. The other two photos are just to show that Carolian Flare (or is that Flair) as built in Wanchese. They are so pretty I wanted to share it with you. <br /><br />Here's a link to the vents, they are a bit on the expensive side, but not much more than any other stainless ones.<br /><br /> http://www.gemlux.com/gemproducts.php?page=catalog&todo=productDetail&partnum=954 <br /><br /><br />Here is what that Davis boat looks like:<br />
1311482_2.jpg
<br /><br />
1311482_15.jpg
<br /><br />
1311482_5.jpg
<br /><br /><br />Thom

BillP

Captain

Nice rig! Just make sure you loop up and not down.<br />I don't loop the vent line...just run it above the vent fitting and then down to the tank. Never any water problems.