Fuel Tank Installation in a Starcraft 22' Aluminum Boat

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
I have a few questions and want to get this right.

This is my tank, it's been checked and cleaned. It holds 50 gallons.

IMG_3182.jpg

This is where it goes:

IMG_3180.jpg

Originally it looks like the tank "floor" had some kind of black sealer all the way around it, sealing the wood to the stringers, basically making the tank compartment water tight. Why was this, and do I need to do that again? If so, what kind of sealer should I use? If you look close you can see a hole that goes from the tank compartment to the bilge, there is/was no plug or anything in that hole.

The fuel pick-ups are in the rear of the tank and were run to port, through the stringer, turn 90 degrees aft, then up through the splashwell to the outboard. It would be a lot simpler to run them straight back through the rear panel above the bilge area and then up to the outboard. Any reason why I can't do this? It would prevent the fuel line from going under the deck (outside the stringer). I am going to have an access hatch in the deck right above the pick-up fittings. Another view:

IMG_3181.jpg

Thank You.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Fuel Tank Installation in a Starcraft 22' Aluminum Boat

That is to save the boat from a fuel leak. If it was straight back (which I agree could be easier) and leaked....... all the fuel would flow right out into the bilge. By routing the line up and through the stringer .......it put's the leak chances above the bottom of the tank.

I would just re-install it the factory way and seal it in.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

That is to save the boat from a fuel leak. If it was straight back (which I agree could be easier) and leaked....... all the fuel would flow right out into the bilge. By routing the line up and through the stringer .......it put's the leak chances above the bottom of the tank.

I would just re-install it the factory way and seal it in.

The way I see it though, no matter if/where there is a leak in a hose, it's still going to get to the bilge. If the tank leaks and that hole in the rear was NOT there, then a tank leak would be contained, but with that hole a tank leak will get into the bilge as well. Just trying to understand the reasoning behind sealing the wood to the stringer.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

The way I see it though, no matter if/where there is a leak in a hose, it's still going to get to the bilge. If the tank leaks and that hole in the rear was NOT there, then a tank leak would be contained, but with that hole a tank leak will get into the bilge as well. Just trying to understand the reasoning behind sealing the wood to the stringer.

I can't seem to figure why you would need to seal up the tank floor to the stringer either. Unless there is something that I'm not seeing I'd just leave it open to drain into the bilge, water or fuel.

As for the fuel lines...

It looks like your fittings are pointed toward starboard on your photo above??? And then run all the way port, through the stringer then up? Am I seeing things?

Anyway, if you can make that bend from the fitting to go straight on back I'd say go for it.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I can't seem to figure why you would need to seal up the tank floor to the stringer either. Unless there is something that I'm not seeing I'd just leave it open to drain into the bilge, water or fuel.

As for the fuel lines...

It looks like your fittings are pointed toward starboard on your photo above??? And then run all the way port, through the stringer then up? Am I seeing things?

Anyway, if you can make that bend from the fitting to go straight on back I'd say go for it.

The fuel pickups are right in the back (bottom of the tank pic), and I could point them in any direction. The fill and vent are up top in the pic.

Well If I do seal the tank floor to the stringers, what kind of sealer do I use? Anyone? The original was black and gummy.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

The fuel pickups are right in the back (bottom of the tank pic), and I could point them in any direction. The fill and vent are up top in the pic.

Ah, now I got it.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I am going to assume that the sealer doesn't really matter. Hope I don't go boom.