Fuel Tank and Fuel Gauge

switthaus

Cadet
Hey all -

I have a 2003 Key Largo 160. My fuel gauge is now stuck on "full" and would like to check all options for repair. Where is the access to the fuel tank on this model? I think the only place it can be is under the console, correct? There is a panel with four screws there. Also, what is the best way to clean a fuel tank in this boat? Thanks in advance

Blevins

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Fuel Tank and Fuel Gauge

On my 2002 206 right behind the CC seat is an unscrewable dry hatch storage that leads to the fuel float switch. I took off the float switch and put a dipstick in to check the fuel level/ quality. I pumped out the fuel in the tank when i bought it with a small 12V pump. The only way to clean the tank is with Sta-Bil or other additives. Read all additives carefully to figure out their worth. On your fuel water seperator you will see if there is sedament in the drainable cap. Let me know if you have any another questions im able to answer.

capt. salty

Recruit
Re: Fuel Tank and Fuel Gauge

Hello to all from Miami;I too have a 2005 Key Largo boat - a 160. Run's great and am happy with it. However!! I have what appears to be sand and moisture in my tank. Myt question is - How are the tanks on these boats vented - I don't see a vent anywhere and assume it is a vented fuel cap. Someone mentioned to check if anything is coming in thru the vent. Also, If I do have to clean out the tank, how would I go about that. I heard you can pump the fuel in/out and filter it that way.?

Thanks

Fred Shope

Recruit
It's right under the console. Water is coming from using the new gas. Also they say it's eating up the fiberglass tank. Hard to work inside the console, plus the tank is only 6 inches deep. I put a sender in mine, but it's hard to get it set right. Poor engineering, much better to put a tank under the seat you could get at. These new collage boys, get degrees in every thing but common since. I just put water in mine for ballast and use two plastic tanks behind the seat. Easy to clean and no leaking lines to blow up the boat.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This topic is over three years old and none of the posters are active in the forum. Please don't reply to topics with no activity for 90 or more days. Thanks.