Fuel stabilizer running through carb

Chris51280

Master Chief Petty Officer
After spraying the engine fog and draining the block and changing the oil and filter, i noticed that I didn't add fuel stabilizer and run it through my carb. I added the stabilizer after I shut everything off. Boat will be in hibernation until mid April. Should I be worried about the fuel left in the carb until then? Its the typical 10% ethanol gas. Should i just open the top of the carb and clean it out so no gas is in there. Gas is 6 weeks old right now.

tpenfield

Staff member
Oh boy . . . you really messed this up :facepalm: j/k :D

For the future, make a sequential checklist so that you do the winterizing steps in a proper order.

Stabilzer should be done at your last run of the season so that movement of the boat mixes the stabilizer with the gasoline (unless you always add stabilizer during re-fueling). I'm not sure how effective merely adding it to the tank would be :noidea:

Having the gasoline sit untreated in the carburetor over the winter is not the best thing in the world, but it is hard to say what will result. Nothing good can happen though.

I think you options are to . . .

1) See if you can drain the carb and add some stabilzer directly to it, or . . .

2) Re-do your winterization, or . . .

3) Leave it as is, and run a heavy dose of fuel system cleaner next year during pre-season prep.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
leave it as is, the fuel in the carb bowls will be evaporated in 3-4 weeks because of the open vent on the carb.

Chris51280

Master Chief Petty Officer
leave it as is, the fuel in the carb bowls will be evaporated in 3-4 weeks because of the open vent on the carb.

will do. The first fuel filter I bought for the boat had the clear sight glass on the bottom. Later found out that its for outboard use only. Switched to canister style only now. Either way, no water was in the line last year. Gas seemed to be ok too. I guess with the ethanol content, its a hit and miss how much you actually have in your fuel. As it says, up to 10% percent possible. Also, not the same throughout the US.

Cleaning the carb if needed next year is not the end. I think I can take it apart, clean and put it back in less than an hour.
its only the 2bbl merc/ rochester carb. Thankfully its not the 4bbl which I think is more complicated.

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Even though we put fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank and run it, during our winterization process we'll pour a little stabilizer in the carb float bowl vent b4 before parking it for the winter.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I’ve done the same think never had an issue. As mentioned By Ted, I usually put it in my tank around Labor Day, as I typically only get one or two runs in during September before I winterize first week of October.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Ya know, I forgot to add any stabilizer to mine in the past. All three boats. One sat the entire next year and the other two were used with no problems. The third started fine and ran perfect the second year also, don't worry about it much myself.