Fuel Stabilizer Question

Jost6453

Recruit
New here .... and just recently purchased a pontoon with a 150hp 4 stroke merc. 2019. Dealer says to NOT use seafoam in it. But I’ve used SF in all my vehicles previously with no issues. I prefer it over Stabil. Anyone else been advised to stay away fro SF by a Merc Mech? Seems kinda odd. Thx.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats.

I've heard some folks say that SF could cause problems, but offer no evidence, anecdotal or empirical. People have been saying this for decades.

Seafoam products are different today than just a few years ago.
They have been reformulated to be more use specific.

The new Seafoam Marine Pro is specifically made for marine engines, and has been made alcohol free to align with engine manufacturer specification requirements. It is recommended for both 2 and 4 cycle marine engines.

Your Merc mechanic was probably trying to steer you toward a product they sell at the dealership.

Can be hard to find in stores.
Best price I have found is on walmart site, $10 a can if you order a case of 12.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
New here .... and just recently purchased a pontoon with a 150hp 4 stroke merc. 2019. Dealer says to NOT use seafoam in it. But I’ve used SF in all my vehicles previously with no issues. I prefer it over Stabil. Anyone else been advised to stay away fro SF by a Merc Mech? Seems kinda odd. Thx.
Are all your other vehicles modern 4 stroke outboards as well?

Seafoam is basically naphtha and isopropyl alcohol. Guessing they're worried about it fouling the emission control sensors.

I don't know if it will actually mess up the sensor(s), but why risk it while the motor is still under warranty?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
No isopropyl or ethanol in Seafoam Marine Pro.