Fuel Sending Unit

hgmatt

Seaman
Quick stupid question.

Ohm meters are setup in Series or Parallel, right?

I'm trying to set up my fuel sending unit (I unhooked the sending unit and didn't write down where each wire went) and I can't quite get it to work. Any suggestions on how to rewire it?

Thanks,

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Fuel Sending Unit

Here is the basic setup

Attachments

• fuel gauge wiring.jpg
    fuel gauge wiring.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 0

hgmatt

Seaman

So if I understand the diagram correctly, I test the unit by running the Ohm meter across the signal wire to the grounding terminal. So in Parallel as opposed to in Series, that's what I thought.

I think my issue is that the sending unit is grounded correctly (ie grounded to tank, tank not grounded).

If I understand the setup correctly, I need to run power to the sending unit via the flange, then the signal wire goes to the post terminal on top. The unit is then grounded via the tank. Correct?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Unhook both the ground and the sender wire at the sending unit,Test with OHM meter buy moving the float up and down.Hook the wires back up and test the sender wire at the gauge with other test probe to a known good ground.

holbs10

Cadet

So whats your fuel gauge reading? Is it at empty or pegged at full? Mine is always pegged at full. MY sending unit has power and ground yet the tank floats around and is not strap grounded.