Fuel running out of motor

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok simple story. I went fishing yesterday with my 2.5 hp 1987 Johnson. I left fuel line hooked up and didn't turn off the fuel shut off. When i returned home i needed to run out with the family and forgot to turn off and disconnect the fuel hose.

Just went to the garage and i went to move motor. Picked it up and fuel ran out of the motor. What do i need to do to clean this up. It starts up just fine in the barrel.
\Thanks in advance

71Windsor

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fuel running out of motor

Well first you should address why you have fuel every where is it due to an incorrect float or something else? And to clean up the fuel first soak as much up as you can with rags or paper towels then I would use CRC electronic cleaner to remove any of the oil from the fuel. The fuel will evaporate and leave the oil behind. CRC electronic cleaner is strong enough to get that cleaned up but not so harsh that it will affect any hoses or wires ect. And also will evaporate quickly. My personal choice for cleaning up messes like this

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well the motor was on its back and hose and fuel left on. I am assuming that the float was up allowing the fuel from the tank to flow out. Its a piggy back tank on the leg of the motor

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Run it and then clean the plugs again, easiest way so long as you dont have to clean up the tank or where ever you run it