Fuel Question

blackjet

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 24, 2006
Messages
8
I have a 1988 125 force on a pontoon boat, my question is, does it matter what octane fuel i use? I once herd that for your older outboard engines will run better with premium fuel.
 

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Mar 25, 2001
Messages
45,907
Re: Fuel Question

I think you heard wrong, blackjet.

87 octane unleaded is the preferred fuel for all but very highly tuned (modified) engines. Premium fuel offers no advantage except that the boat might be faster with a lighter wallet on your hip.
 

glennrow

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
89
Re: Fuel Question

blackjet said:
I have a 1988 125 force on a pontoon boat, my question is, does it matter what octane fuel i use? I once herd that for your older outboard engines will run better with premium fuel.
 

glennrow

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
89
Re: Fuel Question

blackjet said:
I have a 1988 125 force on a pontoon boat, my question is, does it matter what octane fuel i use? I once herd that for your older outboard engines will run better with premium fuel.

i have a 91 force 120 and have had better luck using 89 octane ( really liked premium, but with gas prices being what they are, 89 is just fine )...just make sure you use good oil and get the mixture correct
 
Top