fuel pump question

Lil' Johnson

Seaman Apprentice
I looked through a lot of posts and did not find the answer I was looking for so I hope that I am not being redundant.

I recently purchased a used motor for my 18'3" arrowglass coho center console deep vee. I was told it was, and given the title to, a 1985 115 Evenrude. It was dark and I did not pay close enough attention to the motor as I could not find an id plate and I was pretty happy that the motor was super duper clean. When I got it home in the light of the garage I realized that it is an older motor but it is a cross flow V4. I have a 1975 Johnson 115 and it looks like it is the same motor, has the old style power pack etc. So I put the motor on my boat and have to put it two holes higher than the old motor(1988 Johnson 88 SPL) because the transom brackets won't hook over my transom as it is too wide. I put the boat in the water and it runs well all day but it was a turd out of the hole compared to my old motor. I suspected that the prop that came with motor was wrong for my boat. The next day when I put the boat in the water it would not start. After messing with it for over a hour, I finally got it to start by priming(choking) it at the keyswitch until it started then letting off until it was about to die and priming again over and over until it finally would run on its own. Went out on the water and ran pretty well but rough idle, good WOT. When at the dock before I got it running, the plugs were really wet. When I was running the boat I wanted to make sure it was running cool so I felt the head and got the @#$% knocked out of my by the plug wire. When I got the boat home and flushed it, I pulled the plugs and they were really wet with fuel again so the next day I replaced the plugs, wires and boots and I sealed the cracks in the coils. I went through the carbs and they are literally in brand new condition. The fuel pump is new and the powerhead looks rebuilt recently. The prop did not have any numbers on it so I measured the blades length fore and aft at the hub and they were longer than the prop on my previous motor by over 1/2 inch so I put the other prop on which is a 13-3/8 x 17. I was fairly confident that the prop was why the boat was a turd out of the hole and figured that maybe lugging the motor with too much prop was causing it too run rich because not enough RPM. I don't have a tach but plan on getting one soon.
When I pullrd the carbs off, the fuel lines were all new except for the pulse line, it was pretty rotten. I replaced it with some nice transparent blue urethane hose. Today, I was spraying some jet lube on my powerhead to keep the corrosion away and I noticed that the pulse hose was full of fluid that I am assuming is fuel, is this normal? Now I wonder if excess fuel is getting into the motor that way. Can someone please tell me exactly how the fuel pump works? Is the pulse hose under pressure when running or vacuum or alternating between the two? I also checked the compression and it is 145-150 on all 4 cylinders. I am taking the boat out again saturday and if the fuel pump needs to be replaced I want to pick one up before then and replace it. Also if anyone could help me identify my motor it would be greatly appreciated, it has the old style screw terminal power pack and I don't think it is electric shift because I used my 1988 controls and cables with it and there mechanical linkage under the hood, but I have never seen an electric shift so I am not familiar with them at all. But there is no tag to be found on the powerhead or the transom brackets anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as much info as possible.

petryshyn

Commander
Re: fuel pump question

Fuel in the pulse line is a indication of a leaking diaphram in the fuel pump. This certainly could cause your issues...

Lil' Johnson

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info, the fuel pump looks brand new but I know better than to overlook the fact that new parts are bad all the time. I will replce tomorrow.

Lil' Johnson

Seaman Apprentice

I just wanted to say that this forum is awesome! I have learned a lot of info about boats here. It is refreshing to find a source of GOOD information on the net. Thanks to everyone here.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I just wanted to say that this forum is awesome! I have learned a lot of info about boats here. It is refreshing to find a source of GOOD information on the net. Thanks to everyone here.

Stick around it's a great place to be.

petryshyn

Commander

LJ
Test it first before replacing by applying a vacuum to the pulse line and see if it will hold.
You also can get a repair kit pending on your model....