Fuel Pump question on a 1989 Evinrude SPL V-4 model E88MSLCER

B.autry4711A

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,<br /><br />I have a question. My motor runs O.K. except that on the idle side it idles o.k. at first for no longer than a minute after comming back down from half or full throttle and then it dies. I can get it to statrt if I put the warm up lever up a little. It runs fine at all other settings. Now I did go to the lake this weekend on Friday I ran it full WOT throttle just before I came in and ran fine and idled back to the dock. Now again if I put it back to idle it will die approximately 1 minute it doesn't die immediately. I removed all the spark plugs and all plugs were a light tan color with a slight wetness to them. Now Saturday I went out and couldn't go to fast because the water was rough but when I came in that day I removed the plus and the lower port plug had black around the ceramic and the one above that plug was partially black all on the same cylinder bank which I believe is #2 and #4 cylinder. Now I was reading my Seloc manual and it says if the fuel pump diaphram has a pinhole in it fuel will go into the combustion chamber and cause the fuel pump that is attached to that cylinder to foul out the plug which I believe is happeneing. I was thinking if I did a fuel pump rebuild that It might run better at idle. What do you guys think?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel Pump question on a 1989 Evinrude SPL V-4 model E88MSLCER

Easy way to check Bubba....take the screws out holding the fuel pump to the block and pull the pump away from the block. Put the screws back through the pump and use a couple nuts on the screws to hold the pump firmly together....just like it is on the block. Now pump up the primer bulb and watch the hole in the back of the pump. Hold some pressure on the bulb. If you see fuel coming from the hole, the diaphram is shot.<br /><br />What kind of idle rpms are you getting when it does idle? I'm thinking it should be around 650 to 750 rpm.

B.autry4711A

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OBJ,<br /><br /> I did the test on the fuel pump as you said and I don't have fuel comming out of that hole so that must rule out the fuel pump theory. Like I said the 2 plugs on the port cylinder bank has black shiny on the ceramic where the electrode comes out in the center the upper plug not as bad half black and half dark tan color. The starboard side both plugs are a medium shade of tan color on the ceramic where the center electrode comes out.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Bubba, I'd take a look at the spark on the port bank and make sure you got good spark there. Might be the spark is weak or your losing spark on the port bank after high rpm operation. See if you got spark on the port side at low rpm.

B.autry4711A

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OBJ,<br /> <br />If it is the spark on the port bank of cylinders what would be the cause of this?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Could be something as simple as a bad ground Bubba. Or a power pack that being affected by the heat of the engine. But we do need to get the cause of the problem narrowed down. Testing the spark at the time of the problem is one way of doing this. Also, is the compression good on the port bank?

B.autry4711A

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OBJ,<br /><br /> I did a spark check on the motor before I left to go to Rend Lake and all the plugs seem to fire. What I mean is that I removed one spark plug at a time and the rpms or engine ran a little slower and I did this on all the rest and the same thing the engine would run slower and pick up when I installed the plug wires. What I was thinking of doing is doing a decarb treatment with Seafoam. I will do the 1 gallon of gas to 3 ounces of TCW-3 outboard oil to 1 can of Seafaom and see what happens. I have ran Seafaom but with 10 gallons of gas mixed with it. maybe the 1 gallon trick will do the job and she'll run better. All in all she runs o.k. I just wnat her to run I guess perfect. What do you guys think?

B.autry4711A

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is the post to the coils I just posted on the forum so thereis no confusion.