fuel pump question compatability help appreciated. panicing bc of 4 day weekend

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi, ive just had an awful start to what should be a nice relaxing 4 day weekend. i was upgrading my fuel lines today on my 83 175hp johnson and noticed a crack in the plastic outlet of my upper fuel pump. the piece broke off while removing the old hose. now im stuck. there is not enough plastic to be able to attach a hose to. now i have two extra v4 evinrude motors in my garage. both late 70s /early 80s: 115hp and a 140hp. im wondering if either of these pumps can be substituted even just for this weekend for the upper pump on my motor. my initial thought is no, primarily bc both pumps in my 175 have an additional connection that attaches to the power head. however, im not sure what they do. im assuming the motor needs both pumps to be functioning to provide adequate fuel to the carbs, so i cannot just bypass the upper pump.

can anyone verify whether i can use either of my v4 pumps in place of the upper v6 pump? also, what is the feasibility of replacing both of these stock pumps with an electric system? im desperate to get on the water this weekend and im beginning to panic. I'm even considering trying to glue it together with the fast cure 5200 although I'm sure that won't work. thanks for any help

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: fuel pump question compatability help appreciated. panicing bc of 4 day weekend

Just updating this so future people will have the info I was looking for. The pumps between the v4 and v6 are not compatible at all. The issue I had with the plastic barb breaking must have been common bc there are updated pumps for both the upper and lower pumps that use metal barbs coming off the housing

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: fuel pump question compatability help appreciated. panicing bc of 4 day weekend

you referring to the plastic filler cap that broke some 115 & 140 hp staring from 1977 on the 115 hp & 1980 on the 140hp does fit

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

No I was referring to the fuel oulet and the other hose connection that attaches to the crankcase. On the older pumps that connections were made of molded plastic. The new pumps have metal barbs.