fuel pump install question

RiggerMark

Seaman Apprentice
good day gang,
am working on a 3.0 merc (gm 140) roughly a mid eighties motor, the mech fuel pump was installed with the filter "bowl" pointed up, got to looking at merc manuel, it shows it pointed down, looks more right to me, then i goggled 3.0 merc and looked at images, half the darn things point up, half point down, but, my merc manual shows down, my seloc shows nada, thanks for your time..................................mark

acex008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: fuel pump install question

Well I've removed the older style one on my 1987 3.0l that was pointing up and replaced it with a newer style one that is pointing down and I'm not getting any fuel to the carb. I haven't had time to truly diagnose it and see if it's the fuel pump not pumping or some other fuel issue because my motor won't turn over currently. I'm going to switch back to the one pointing up to rule it out though...

As a side note to this conversation you will also notice that the spring loaded arm which rides on a lobe on the cam shaft is also flipped from each configuration. The pump with the filter down has the arm riding from the bottom of the camshaft lobe. I'm not sure if the lobe is a different size between the two generations of motors/

cr2k

Captain

Either one should work. Did you compare the arms? I don't see how the fuel pump could prevent your engine from turning over.

acex008

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I wasn't trying to thread-jack but the fuel pump and my motor not cranking are two separate issues. I did compare the arms and they appear to be able to seat on the camshaft lobe. I'd just like to hear from someone else who has "upgraded" their fuel pump from the older style with the filter pointing up, to the newer style with the filter pointing down and had it work fine... This will also help the OP.

RiggerMark

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the info, all the manuels that show the pump, has bowl down, which is the way the printing is also, i'm going to go with this unless someone knows that i'm really screwing up, it's happened before.....lol........thanks again .................mark